Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"You are either overstaffed or people just don't have problems with your feed because customer support always answers the phone quickly." - Comment from Jay via Email
"Thanks for all of your help. Great customer service deserves to be recognized which one the reasons I've been a customer of DTN for over 10 years!" - Comment from Stuart
"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
"I just wanted to let u know that your data feed/service is by far the best!!! Your unfiltered tick data is excellent for reading order flow and none of your competitors delivers this quality of data!" - Comment from Peter via Email
"Excellent datafeed !!!" - Comment from Arely
"You have an excellent product !!!!!!" - Comment from Arely
"I've been using Neoticker RT with IQFeed for two months, and I'm very happy with both of the products (I've had IQFeed for two years with very few complaints). The service from both companies is exceptional." - Comment from Public Forum
"I started a trial a few weeks back before the market went wild. DTN.IQ didn’t miss anything and beat my other provider. I decided to stay with you because of the great service through all the volatility." - Comment from Mike
"I'm very glad I switched to IQFeed. It's working perfectly with no lag, even during fast market conditions." - Comment from Andy via Email
"Very impressed with the quality of your feed - ******* is a real donkey in comparison." - Comment from A.C. via Email
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Datafeed Wish List »satellite or internet feed
Author Topic: satellite or internet feed (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)

stum
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 5, 2006 04:52 PM          Msg. 1 of 11
New to forum. I am interested in trading mini s&p 500 or mini russell 2000. Not sure which software is provided in package from DTN. Same software? Also not sure which would be better for me, satellite or internet. I have 3mb cable download from Charter and would only trade 4 hours in morning (7-11). What are the prices as I cannot find them on the website? Thank you.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Sep 5, 2006 05:10 PM          Msg. 2 of 11
I would always suggest going with an Internet feed if you have the bandwidth available (which you do). This provides you not only our best software (ProphetX), but also the ability to take the software with you if you want to use it on the road. If you are trading Eminis, you would want our ProphetX Active Trader Edition, which is $75 per month when paid annually ($95 paid monthly) plus exchange fees (~25 per month depending upon exchanges needed). This includes our high end ProphetX workstation software as well as the datafeed.

We do offer a free trial. During your trial, we will get on the phone with you and walk you through the various features of the product. It is very intuitive, so you should be up and running quickly.

To sign up for a trial to the Active Trader version of ProphetX, please visit http://www.dtniq.com.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

stum
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 5, 2006 05:21 PM          Msg. 3 of 11
Does ProphetX feature your 4 and 9 point lines on the 20 minute bar graphs?

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Sep 5, 2006 05:31 PM          Msg. 4 of 11
I am not sure what you mean by the 4 and 9 point lines? You can do intraday charts with 20 minute bars, and you can draw various lines. You can add your own custom studies as well as signals to color bars, etc. If you could elaborate a bit on what you are looking for, I will do my best to help. You can also call our sales group at 800-475-4755 and we will do our best to ensure we get you into a product that best meets your needs.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

stum
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 5, 2006 05:44 PM          Msg. 5 of 11
My understanding is that one of your software programs provides 20 minute vertical trading bars that have an option where you can have it include a red line which symbolizes the past four average high and low trading points. A green line symbolizes the past nine average high and low trading points. The software draws these lines over the bar chart after every 20 minute interval. The colors of these lines may be optional but that is what I understand. I also understand that this software is provided on a satellite based DTN feed. That's why I asked if this program is available both with satellite and internet feed.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 01:00 PM          Msg. 6 of 11
I am not sure if you are talking about lines such as a "moving average" line, or just a small cursor line, but I created a Custom Study in our ProphetX software that is creating 2 lines that show the moving average of the average of the high and low for the past 4 and 9 bars. This image shows a 20 minute chart of the Emini, and you will see the Red line which is the average for the past 4 bars and the Green line which is the average of the past 9 bars.

http://forums.dtniq.com/images/pxchartwithhlavg.jpg

Is this what you are looking for? If not, my guess is it can be done, I just need to better understand the formula you want to use the draw the line.

Since you mention software that works with both our Satellite and Internet feed, I wonder if you are talking about Ensign or InvestorRT? They both offer software packages that work with either of our feeds. I am either one of them, or our ProphetX software will be able to accomplish what you are looking for.

If the image you see isn't correct, please elaborate further and I will do my best to replicate what you are looking for!

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

stum
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 02:24 PM          Msg. 7 of 11
Maybe I'm the one all screwed up here. I just tracked down the software by calling around and it is from DTN. It is called DTN Spectrum RT. I don't really know if this is the name of the software or a "package" from DTN. Could it even be another company called DTN? If it is, I apologize for wasting your time.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 03:31 PM          Msg. 8 of 11
DTN Spectrum RT is a product of DTN.. you are talking to the correct company! This is a service delivered via Satellite directly to a DTN receiver. There is no software for this product however. The data is used directly on the receiver via buttons and a mouse, on a monitor provide by DTN. This service does allow you to draw simple moving averages, but the averages would be based on the Close, not an average of the High and Low. The Spectrum RT package runs $155 per month plus exchange fees (Real Time stocks are not available on this service - only real time futures).

Based on the following, I would still suggest that our ProphetX product would be the best solution for you. Again, our sales group would be more than happy to discuss the options. You can reach them at 800-475-4755.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 03:35 PM          Msg. 9 of 11
Hello,

The spectrum system is one of the satellite packages that is available, it is not nearly as robust as our newer options that are available via internet feed. If you would send me a private message with your contact information, I can have someone call you that can explain all the different options available to you or if you like, you can call us at 800-475-4755.

I am very confident that if the lines you saw were on the spectrum, they were moving average lines as Jay said, just give us a call and we will get you the product that you need.

Tim Walter
DTN Customer Service

David
-DTN Evangelist-

I'd rather be...

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 05:04 PM          Msg. 10 of 11
Quote: The spectrum system is one of the satellite packages that is available, it is not nearly as robust as our newer options that are available via Internet feed.

FWIW: In my limited experience (18+ years) of supporting my program on the various DTN satellites I have been very impressed with the robustness of the satellite feed. Many of my customers also have mentioned this to me - I have only seen a few times in years that it has actually gone down. It does have additional hardware that has to be accounted for but most of my receivers have run for years without interruption. On the other hand, I have found the Internet not so robust as not only are the DTN servers in the loop but the Internet paths and local delivery is in the communication chain. I have outages and slow-downs weekly of some form or another. The Internet is getting more and more bottled necked, every day some paths (how many hops it takes to get to you) drop to dial-up speed for many minutes (latency > 600 msec) and this includes the one to the DTN server for me.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I think that the DTN real-time satellite is a great system if you need to watch the whole market - at one point before options were dropped I was following over 100,000 issues.

David

IQXP Software
http://www.iqxp.com

LiveWire Update Service
PO Box 1417
Fairfield, IA 52556
641-472-8393
http://www.livewire-cablesoft.com/

Edited by David on Sep 6, 2006 at 05:04 PM

nsolot
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 06:39 PM          Msg. 11 of 11
Satellite can be very good, so long as you aren't too worried about little green aliens using our satellites for target practice and zapping them out of space with their ray guns.

OK, seriously, every once in a blue moon a satellite goes bad and it takes a while (hours or days) for things to get sorted out. I used to have a big dish for TV and in 1997 I lost a bunch of channels. Seems AT&T "lost" one of their birds:

http://web.dmi.dk/sol-jord/projekter/rum_vejr/att.html

Years ago, we used PCQuote via sat feed where I worked. Worked well, but every once in a while during heavy thunderstorms (cloud cover) the feed can stall. Also every year or two, high winds would knock our dish out of alignment and we'd need the tech to come over and put it back. Anyone who has DirecTv or Dish net knows the ups & downs of satellite and whether their locale is prone to these "disruptions".

Not that I have huge confidence in the internet either. Have an off color joke about that, so I won't post it publicly.

Time: Wed April 24, 2024 7:19 PM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003