Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I "bracket trade" all major news releases and I have not found one lag or glitch with DTN.IQ feed. I am very comfortable with their feed under all typical news conditions (Fed releases, employment numbers, etc)." - Comment from Public Forum
"It’s so nice to be working with real professionals!" - Comment from Len
"Previously I was using *******. IQFeed is WAY more economical, and for my charting needs is just as good, if not better." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I've never had DTN go out on me since switching. ******* would go down a couple times every month when I was using them." - Comment from Bryce in AL.
"IQ feed works very well, does not have all of the normal interruptions I have grown used to on *******" - Comment from Mark
"Boy, probably spent a thousand hours trying to get ******* API to work right. And now two hours to have something running with IQFeed. Hmmm, guess I was pretty stupid to fight rather than switch all this time. And have gotten more customer service from you guys already than total from them… in five years." - Comment from Jim
"I will tell others who want to go into trading that DTN ProphetX is an invaluable tool, I don't think anyone can trade without it..." - Comment from Luther
"If you are serious about your trading I would not rely on IB data for serious daytrading. Took me a while to justify the cost of IQ Feed and in the end, it's just a 2 point stop on ES. Better safe than sorry" - Comment from Public Forum
"If you want customer service that answers the phone, your best bet is IQFeed. I cannot stop praising them or their technical support. They are always there for you, and they are quick. I have used ****** too but the best value is IQFeed." - Comment from Public Forum
"I started a trial a few weeks back before the market went wild. DTN.IQ didn’t miss anything and beat my other provider. I decided to stay with you because of the great service through all the volatility." - Comment from Mike
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »using various requests
Author Topic: using various requests (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)

daddyolle
-Interested User-

Posted: May 7, 2010 10:06 AM          Msg. 1 of 3
This is less of a problem question than an education question. I am a user of IQFeed using Ninja Trader and Neuroshell Trader. Obviouly they have hidden all of the complexity from their end user.

We have an in-house Risk System that we are trying to add functionality to i.e. real-time position valuation etc. We currently are pulling yahoo quotes, which are delayed, so we have some understanding of pulling data in and consuming it.

I started this week and thanks to some examples c# examples sent on Wednessday, we are already getting some results.

I have a few questions making history and fundamental requests:
1) using the sample apps I am trying to construct a request that gives me for a specific security
a) yesterdays close b) the current high, low, accumulated volume for today and c) it would be nice to have the symbol description/company name.

I can't seem to put together an HXX request that will give it to me. It also seems like I have to make a fundamental request just to get a symbol title. Getting a quick real time quote is easy with HTX for example.

Can someone offer some suggestions how to piece together a request or two that can give me what I want... realtime last price, open high low for the day and yesterdays close and maybe the symbol title.

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: May 7, 2010 11:41 AM          Msg. 2 of 3
There is no request you can make to the history data that will include the symbol description. You could use a Symbol Lookup request to get that information or we also publish this in our symbol file that is updated daily (http://www.dtniq.com/product/mktsymbols_v2.zip).

There is also no History request that you can make during the trading day which will give you current "official" OHLC information for that day (you can get previous days but not the current day until after market close).

It sounds to me like what you really want to be using to get the information you want is realtime streaming quotes with dynamic fieldsets turned on to only get updates for the Open, High, Low, Close, and Volume. This will give you the Fundamental data snapshot (which will include the symbol description) when you initially watch the symbol and you will also get the current OHLCV information as it updates from the feed.
-edit- corrected mktsymbols link
Edited by DTN_Steve_S on May 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM

daddyolle
-Interested User-

Posted: May 10, 2010 12:31 PM          Msg. 3 of 3
Yes, I beleive you are right. I have been looking at the C++ sample apps and running them. Right now my app is not ready to receive streaming quotes, but I could just watch a symbol and pull off the first two messages the F and P to get everything I need for now, then just remove it.

This will give me on demand real-time. I have several adaptations to make to my app to listen and respond to Q messages coming in.

Thank you

Time: Tue April 23, 2024 4:11 AM CFBB v1.2.0 19 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003