Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I use IQ Feed, Great stuff as far as data analysis information, storage and retrieval is concerned." - Comment from Public Forum
"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
"I used to have *******, but they are way more money for the same thing. I have had no probs with data from DTN since switching over." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"I like you guys better than *******...much more stable and a whole lot fewer issues." - Comment from Philip
"I am enjoying the feed very much - so superior to the broker provided feed I was previously using." - Comment from George
"For anyone considering using DTN.IQ for a data feed, my experience with the quality of data and the tech support has been very positive." - Comment from Public Forum
"I will tell others who want to go into trading that DTN ProphetX is an invaluable tool, I don't think anyone can trade without it..." - Comment from Luther
"Excellent datafeed !!!" - Comment from Arely
"I was with ******* for 4 years at $230 a month, this is a huge savings for me, GOD BLESS YOU PEOPLE," - Comment from T.S. via Email
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »VERY slow history requests (sometimes)
Author Topic: VERY slow history requests (sometimes) (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)

ers811
-Interested User-

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 08:47 AM          Msg. 1 of 13
Are you guys aware of any reason why history requests could be slow?

A particular app grabs a few days of 1-min data for it's symbols on startup, today that was by 8:30 NYSE time.

A lot of days it will blow through a list of around 400 symbols in a few minutes, but days like today, it gets to 125 or so and just sits there. Every once in a while it will trickle in another 1 or 2, and takes FOREVER. This is usually a one-time thing and only needs the data once, I make the rest myself from quotes in order NOT to hammer the servers. UPDATE: once the market opened today, it blew through the remaining 200 symbols.... weird. You'd think stuff would slow down then. This login is on 66.112.156.110

Data speeds to other locations are still fine, CPU hardly used, and have plenty of free bandwidth here. Is this common during high traffic market days? The history has been very intermittent.

Eric

taa_dtn
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 06:21 PM          Msg. 2 of 13
For me, it's quite common to see history requests time out. I have an end-of-day history fetch running right now, and it looks like the timeouts are occurring every 300 to 500 symbols.

Oddly, this started suddenly about three years ago. Before then I never had any problems.

I just modified my apps to retry after ten seconds have passed without receiving any history data, and everything seems fine.

Allen

ers811
-Interested User-

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 03:29 PM          Msg. 3 of 13
I currently just request the entire batch at once, each with a unique ID. Most of... er... much of the time, they just stream in fine. However sometimes there will be a huge pause, sits at, say, 150 received of 500 requested.... then a minute later, they start to stream in again. Occasionally, there will even be an error for a symbol near the pause, although I'll have to check the exact error next time it happens.

If there IS some kind of throttle, it would just be good to know so I can at least stop trying to find a problem. Otherwise I could try something like that re-request.

jimc
-Interested User-

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 03:56 PM          Msg. 4 of 13
I've been seeing similar behavior for about 5-6 weeks. This happened a year or two ago, then the problem stopped happening. Re-requesting eventually gets the feed going again, but this problem has really been slowing my app's startup down.

taa_dtn
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 04:12 PM          Msg. 5 of 13
Re the slowdown: Yes, that's a problem for me, too. I work around it by issuing history requests from multiple threads, so that if one stalls the app as a whole continues to make progress. It's extremely rare to have a stall on more than one thread at the same time.

Allen

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 04:28 PM          Msg. 6 of 13
Hello everyone. I just wanted to chime in here and let you guys know that we are looking into this currently and it is a high priority to make sure the history servers are performing up to par.

ers811
-Interested User-

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 08:30 AM          Msg. 7 of 13
History speeds are TERRIBLE today... most opportunity comes in these big market days, and we're stuck not trading because 2 days of 1-min data are flowing in a couple symbols PER MINUTE. Apps not even close to loading what they need for the day. Last week was pretty darn decent, but then all the trading opportunity will probably be today, as usual.

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 09:33 AM          Msg. 8 of 13
Hello, we are not seeing any obvious issues on our end currently (nor were we seeing anything obvious from our logs around the time you posted this). Can you send me your loginID that you are using and some examples of the requests that were slow?

Feel free to send this via a PM on the forums if you don't want to post this information on the public forum.

jimc
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 10:22 AM          Msg. 9 of 13
Sorry I didn't reply to this; I didn't have the data easily accessible. Historical requests have been very slow for me all morning today; not sure if you can see anything on your side.

Jim

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 12:19 PM          Msg. 10 of 13
Hello Jim, we made some adjustments on our end that should have aleviated the slowness. Please let us know if you continue to have problems.

jimc
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 08:37 AM          Msg. 11 of 13
Steve, it's been good, but today again historical requests are very slow.

Jim

ers811
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 09:08 AM          Msg. 12 of 13
The last couple days have definitely been much slower.

We usually budget about 3 minutes for the initial history load before the open. Lately it's been more like 15-20+ minutes.

Was there some kind of throttle put on HIT (and similar) requests?

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 02:45 PM          Msg. 13 of 13
Thanks for the reports. We are aware of current issues with the history system being slower than usual. Yesterday we had to take one of our history systems offline due to data corruption caused upstream from the IQFeed servers. We are working on getting that system restored as quickly as possible at which time we should be back to full operating capacity.

Time: Thu April 25, 2024 6:27 AM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003