Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I am keeping IQFeed, much better reliabilty than *******. I may refer a few other people in the office to switch as well." - Comment from Don
"Everything is working great ! Very impressive client. The news refreshes better and is more pertinent than the ******* feed I paid $ 100/month for. I Also like the charts a lot." - Comment from Leon
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
"This is an excellent value, the system is generous (allowing for 500 stocks) and stable (and really is tick-by-tick), and the support is fantastic." - Comment from Shirin via Email
"Boy, probably spent a thousand hours trying to get ******* API to work right. And now two hours to have something running with IQFeed. Hmmm, guess I was pretty stupid to fight rather than switch all this time. And have gotten more customer service from you guys already than total from them… in five years." - Comment from Jim
"I am enjoying the feed very much - so superior to the broker provided feed I was previously using." - Comment from George
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
"Interactive Brokers tick data was inconsistent, so I have switched to using DTN exclusively. It is great to no longer have to worry about my datafeed all day long." - Comment from Philippe
"You have an excellent product !!!!!!" - Comment from Arely
"I'm satisfied with IQFeed. It's the most reliable and fastest quote feed I have ever used. Although I'm a resident in China, it's still very fast!" - Comment from Xiaofei
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Quote feed for currency pairs on FOREX
Author Topic: Quote feed for currency pairs on FOREX (18 messages, Page 1 of 1)

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 3, 2005 09:09 PM          Msg. 1 of 18
I am running the sample VB.NET and VB 6 examples to try to see quotes for HUSDJPY. I added the symbol to the watch list and received back a summary message and a fundamental message with many commas. No quotes come in after that. I am successful in receiving stock quotes. Once they are entered in the watch list and an initial quote appears, updates come in automatically. Is there something special I need to do with FOREX quotes?

Addendum: The quote feed and history works fine using IQFeed with the Medved display tool.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Kary Ball

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Jan 4, 2005 08:02 AM          Msg. 2 of 18
Kares,

Please send us your login ID so we can ensure you are properly authorized for the HotSpot feed. This may be the issue.

Thanks

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 4, 2005 09:38 AM          Msg. 3 of 18
Should I post my ID here on the forum?? Let me know if you would like me to send it via e-mail.

I have an update: This morning, the FOREX data comes in fine. I have experienced this inability to get FOREX data only at night. And, as I mentioned above, I can see changes in prices using MEDVED quote tracker using the IQFeed.

I don't think I would be able to see the data if my user ID didn't allow it.

Kary Ball

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 4, 2005 08:42 PM          Msg. 4 of 18
Another update. Well, I was receving quotes all day using the example .net program to watch a symbol. The symbol being watched was HUSDJPY. Now I'm home, using the same laptop computer and I am not getting streaming quotes. I get two lines of data with lots of commas but no data, and then no other data besides time stamps.

I think I will need to call someone because the turnaround on the web forum will take weeks at this rate and I only have a 1 week trial for the data.

Kary Ball

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Jan 5, 2005 08:12 AM          Msg. 5 of 18
Kares,

Since it is working fine during the day, it most likely is not your account (as you said). We are looking into this internally as we have had a couple other reports of something similar. Can you please send the following details:

Operating System
Version of IQFeed Developer kit being used
Exact time of day you are trying this when it doesn't work
Have you ever received quote updates at night on these symbols?
Are other symbols updating (@ESH5) while the Forex isn't?
Have you tried other pairs to see if they too aren't updating?
Your loginID
The timezone and regional settings for your PC
Exact dump of messages from IQconnectExplorer.exe for this symbol when you don't get data.

We have many Forex customers using our data 24 hours per day, so it is an isolated problem and we are trying to duplicate it here but so far have been unable to.

Thanks

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 5, 2005 11:29 AM          Msg. 6 of 18
Operating System -

Windows XP Home Edition

Version of IQFeed Developer kit being used

Exact time of day you are trying this when it doesn't work - 12:11 AM Wednesday, January 5
6:00 PM January 4

Have you ever received quote updates at night on these symbols?

Yes, using MEDVED Quote Tracker

Are other symbols updating (@ESH5) while the Forex isn't?

Yes - Stock Symbols work

Have you tried other pairs to see if they too aren't updating?

Yes: HUSDJPY HUSDCAD HEURUSD

Your loginID

The timezone and regional settings for your PC

GMT - 5 Eastern Time Zone

Exact dump of messages from IQconnectExplorer.exe for this symbol when you don't get data.

Can't select text into clipboard. The two initial statements showing the P and F records with many commas. No FOREX quotes print after this.

Now some more information. I have successfully received quotes while at work. This has ranged from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM eastern time. I am home for lunch right now and quotes are NOT working for FOREX currency pairs.

The amazing thing: MEDVED quote tracker DOES successfully update all three currency pairs (HUSDJPY HUSDCAD HEURUSD) from home AND at the same time, the sample VB.net application does not record quotes for these. This happens while I am at home. When at work, both the MEDVED and VB.net application work.

The unmodified application I am running:
Level 1 VB.net COM

My question: Is it possible that the MEDVED uses a different port for receiving data? Would it be possible that my firewall at home blocks this port while the one at work does not? What port does the VB.NET example use?

Kary Ball

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Jan 5, 2005 12:55 PM          Msg. 7 of 18
QuoteTracker uses IQFeed and doesn't have any control over which ports, so it will be using the same ports as our sample apps. A couple other things to check. Using IQconnectExplorer, set a watch on the hotspot symbol and at the same time set a watch on a stock (one that doesn't update too much, but is active enough to have some updates). See if you are getting updates on the stock and/or the hotspot.

Also to further clarify:

Are you using the sample app and QT at the same time when running this test and does QT update while the sample doesn't?

When it does work in QT and not in the sample, you are trying it one after another correct? (there isn't a signifant time lapse between trying in each app)?

I am sure we can get to the bottom of it, but this is definately an odd one!

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 5, 2005 01:22 PM          Msg. 8 of 18
QuoteTracker uses IQFeed and doesn't have any control over which ports, so it will be using the same ports as our sample apps. A couple other things to check. Using IQconnectExplorer, set a watch on the hotspot symbol and at the same time set a watch on a stock (one that doesn't update too much, but is active enough to have some updates). See if you are getting updates on the stock and/or the hotspot.

>>I have done this several times as described in my last post. Stocks come through, but FOREX quotes do not. I used stock symol KLAC and XLNX

Also to further clarify:

Are you using the sample app and QT at the same time when running this test and does QT update while the sample doesn't?

>>No, they will not run at the same time. I've tried that too but one will end when the other starts. I have also stopped and started each app separately.

When it does work in QT and not in the sample, you are trying it one after another correct? (there isn't a signifant time lapse between trying in each app)?

>>No, there is not. But the time lapse is the same for when I'm at work and when I'm at a location that doesn't work. For example, I am at a customer site right now and am accessing the internet through their connection. I am having the same symptoms as I did at home: QT works, the VB.NET example does not (does not report FOREX quotes yet stock quotes come streaming in). It seems to be a location specific issue.

>>What is the port used?

Kary Ball

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Jan 5, 2005 01:52 PM          Msg. 9 of 18
The local port between the app and IQFeed is 5009. It varies for the IQFeed to server ports, but it is the same for all quotes. Thus, if you are getting stocks, and not Forex, it isn't a firewall issue since the quotes will come down on the same port.

Still trying to figure something out here to replicate it.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 5, 2005 02:50 PM          Msg. 10 of 18
The time is currently 3:47 Eastern time. I just tried the example program (VB.NET) again and it is now working and displaying FOREX streaming quotes! I can tell right away that it is different. There are two lines that come up right away that indicate that the symbol was added to the watch list. The one with a "P" in front of it is now populated with price data, not a bunch of commas.

Did you do something on your end?

Also - could you add a quote history function to your VB.NET example? That would make the example program complete (and my life easy).

Kary Ball

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 5, 2005 02:56 PM          Msg. 11 of 18
I wish I hadn't sent that last message so quickly. I have more information now. The VB.NET example program worked while the MEDVED Quote Tracker was running!!!! When I stopped the QT and restarted the VB.NET level one example program, I no longer received FOREX quotes (HUSDJPY). If MEDVED is running, I can get the quotes. I can get stock quotes whether QT is running or not. Perhaps when I was at work I was running with QT running and didn't realize it.

Kary Ball

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Jan 5, 2005 03:38 PM          Msg. 12 of 18
I am nearly 100% confident I know what is going on. The sample apps login with a default product name. This will only give you delayed quote. Since we don't have delayed quotes for Forex, you aren't getting any data. However, if you login with QuoteTracker, it will give you the proper authorizations you are set for and thus give you the real time data. You need to modify the sample app code to send the product name you registered with as a developer and that should take care of the issue.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Jan 5, 2005 07:28 PM          Msg. 13 of 18
Ah. That was it. I'm getting FOREX quotes out the wazoo now.

Any chance of adding historical quote ability to the .net example?

Kary Ball

LonnieS
-King of IQ Development-

Posted: Jan 21, 2005 07:09 AM          Msg. 14 of 18
We're working on it. I can't promise when but examples of history retrieval in .net should be coming soon.

Lonnie Shumate
Development Manager, IQ Systems
DTN Market ACCESS

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 14, 2005 11:55 AM          Msg. 15 of 18
I am having problems seeing real time data AGAIN even though I am using the application name KARES_BALL. I have added a new DTN.IQ account for an additional user. Might this have affected use of my application so that I can no longer see straming data?

Kary Ball

DTN_Natalie_H
-DTN Evangelist-

DTN Market Access, LLC.

Posted: Feb 15, 2005 10:14 AM          Msg. 16 of 18
Kary,

I have been told that your issues from yesterday have been resolved. Can you confirm this?

Thanks!

Natalie Hannan DTN Market Access, LLC.

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 15, 2005 12:04 PM          Msg. 17 of 18
Yes, we got the quotes working again.

I have noticed that a .net example program (subroutine) stops working when I add additional lines to the subroutine (interrupt handler). When I say "stops working", the quotes stop coming in. Historical data and news come in fine. Here is the code with my entries commented out:

Private Sub IQFeed_QuoteMessage(ByVal eventSender As System.Object, ByVal eventArgs As AxIQFEEDYLib._DIQFeedYEvents_QuoteMessageEvent) Handles IQFeed.QuoteMessage
'Dim sr As StreamReader = New StreamReader(eventArgs.strQuoteData)
'Dim line As String
'Dim clipped As String
'Dim split As String() = Nothing
'clipped = line.Replace(Chr(34), "")
'split = clipped.Split(",")
'Symbol = split(0)
lstData.Items.Add("Quote Message: " & eventArgs.strQuoteData)
End Sub

Would there be any reason that this routine would behave abnormally by adding code or stepping through using debug?

Kary Ball

Kares
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 15, 2005 01:24 PM          Msg. 18 of 18
Well, I am the idiot. I was using a streamreader that was absolutely out of place. Everything is working fine.

Kary Ball

Time: Wed April 24, 2024 6:37 AM CFBB v1.2.0 12 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003