Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I'm satisfied with IQFeed. It's the most reliable and fastest quote feed I have ever used. Although I'm a resident in China, it's still very fast!" - Comment from Xiaofei
"I ran your IQFeed DDE vs. my broker vs. a level II window for some slow-moving options. I would see the level II quote change, then your feed update instantaneously. My broker's DDE, however, would take as much as 30 seconds to update. I am not chasing milliseconds, but half a minute is unacceptable." - Comment from Rob
"I've never had DTN go out on me since switching. ******* would go down a couple times every month when I was using them." - Comment from Bryce in AL.
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
"I am enjoying the feed very much - so superior to the broker provided feed I was previously using." - Comment from George
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
"IQFeed version 4 is a real screamer compared to anything else I have seen." - Comment from Tom
"This is an excellent value, the system is generous (allowing for 500 stocks) and stable (and really is tick-by-tick), and the support is fantastic." - Comment from Shirin via Email
"Thank you so much - awesome feed, awesome service!" - Comment from Greg via Email
"I have been using IQFeed now for a few years in MultiCharts and I have zero complaints. Very, very rare to have any data hiccups or anything at all go wrong." - Comment from Public Forum
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »ExchangeRoot for Eurex Symbols
Author Topic: ExchangeRoot for Eurex Symbols (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)

pedro01
-Interested User-

Posted: May 25, 2015 11:53 AM          Msg. 1 of 10
Hi

I am using the "Exchange Root" from the fundamental data for Eurex symbols.

For some reason the exchange roots are different from those given out by Eurex themselves.

So for the BOBL, the code on Eurex is "FGBM" but according to the fundamental data download the Exchange code is "GBM".

Is there any reason for it or is this a glitch in the data? There is no GBM trading on Eurex.

This is the case for many Eurex instruments. Is there some method by which you are coming to these adjusted exchange symbols or is it just a glitch in the data?

Here's the codes: http://www.eurexchange.com/exchange-en/products/int/fix/government-bonds/Euro-Bobl-Futures/15644

And here's the fundamental data message:

Let me know

Peter
Edited by pedro01 on May 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM
Edited by pedro01 on May 25, 2015 at 08:56 PM

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: May 26, 2015 06:24 AM          Msg. 2 of 10
Hello Pedro,

These symbol changes are a result of symbol duplication between exchanges. We are aware of the frustration this can cause and we hope that the symbol guides we offer are helpful, but if you have any trouble at all finding anything, please feel free to call or email our service team and we would be more than happy to help you find anything you are looking for.

Tim

pedro01
-Interested User-

Posted: May 26, 2015 06:37 AM          Msg. 3 of 10
I don't think you are following me.

on IQFeed the bund is "BL" - I get that, understand it 100%.

But you have a fundamental data download on your API. It gives us a number of properties for an instrument - 50 or so properties.

So for BL, I can do a fundamental data request and it'll give me a bunch of properties. One of the properties is Exchange Root. And for BL you have that as GBL instead of FGBL.

You seem to have dropped the "F" off most of the symbols -funny thing is - you seem to have dropped the F wherever it is in the symbol. So your "CO" (EUREX SWISS GOV BOND CONF) on Eurex has an exchange Root of "CON" instead of CONF.

So it appears your developers have cut the "F" from the Exchange Root wherever it appears. whilst most Eurex Futures do have an exchange Root beginning with "F", they don't all have it.

This is not about IQFeed unique symbols - this is where you store the Exchange Root...

Edited by pedro01 on May 26, 2015 at 07:02 AM

pedro01
-Interested User-

Posted: May 26, 2015 06:55 AM          Msg. 4 of 10
Here's the documentation on the "Fundamental Message Format"

http://www.iqfeed.net/dev/api/docs/Level1FundamentalMessage.cfm

As you can see the last item in the list is "Exchange Root" and the description is "The root symbol that you can find this symbol listed under at the exchange."

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: May 26, 2015 07:15 AM          Msg. 5 of 10
I am sorry, I understand now, researching.

pedro01
-Interested User-

Posted: May 26, 2015 07:30 AM          Msg. 6 of 10
Thanks Tim - it really does look like the "F"s have been taken out....

No F'in symbol....

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: May 26, 2015 08:01 AM          Msg. 7 of 10
Pedro,

It turns out that this is due to a system limitation of 3 characters on that field and unfortunately the underlying symbol, was not truncated consistently. Though as you have noted, remove the f, seems to have been used in most cases. But, since other developers have already written code to the current exchange roots we are unable to change this. I wish I had a better answer, but unfortunately I cannot offer an expectation that can programmably be predicted.

If you would like to send me a list, I will be happy to look up each for you and provide the actual exchange root and the DTN reported exchange root back to you.

Tim

pedro01
-Interested User-

Posted: May 26, 2015 08:25 AM          Msg. 8 of 10
So let me get this right.

If there are errors in your data you will never fix them as you presume people will have already coded around them? I don't agree with that presumption. I think what you will find is people are simply not using ExchangeRoot because it doesn't make sense to 'fix' it programmatically.

Think about it - how do you think people will have coded around this specifically? People will have made their own mappings, not taken your incorrect symbols and decided to add characters that you removed at random.

You DO have a few of options here.

1 - you could add another field showing the correct id
2 - you could poll the developer partners to see if anyone objects to putting it right.

People use IQFeed to write trading systems. We cannot place trades thru IQFeed, so you must understand that to map symbols to broker feeds, the Exchange Root is all we have. Without that being correct, you leave us with a ton of work on manually creating mapping tables - because you don't give us that either.

Option 3 of course is to give us mapping tables for all products that we could incorporate into our software.

I think "can't do anything" is not the best way to handle this.

And this is just a string - how can there be a "system limitation" of 3 characters on what is one of the most important pieces of information about an instrument? Your description isn't limited to 3 characters
Edited by pedro01 on May 26, 2015 at 08:30 AM

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: May 26, 2015 08:31 AM          Msg. 9 of 10
Peter,

We are looking into this further and will come up with a solution to ensure we are providing accurate exchange root information for all exchanges. When this happens, we will send a developer notice out to inform anyone who has programmatically worked around this issue about the change.

We will post back to this thread when we have more information on the solution.

Jay Froscheiser
Vice President, Active Trader Products

pedro01
-Interested User-

Posted: May 26, 2015 09:36 AM          Msg. 10 of 10
That's very much appreciated guys!

Time: Thu April 25, 2024 9:12 AM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003