Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"If you are serious about your trading I would not rely on IB data for serious daytrading. Took me a while to justify the cost of IQ Feed and in the end, it's just a 2 point stop on ES. Better safe than sorry" - Comment from Public Forum
"I'm very glad I switched to IQFeed. It's working perfectly with no lag, even during fast market conditions." - Comment from Andy via Email
"I just wanted to let you know how fast and easy I found it to integrate IQFeed into our existing Java code using your JNI client. In my experience, such things almost never go so smoothly - great job!" - Comment from Nate
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"If you want customer service that answers the phone, your best bet is IQFeed. I cannot stop praising them or their technical support. They are always there for you, and they are quick. I have used ****** too but the best value is IQFeed." - Comment from Public Forum
"Version 4.0.0.2 has been working well for me and I appreciate that it is now a much tighter client to work with. I feel I can go to press with my own application and rely on a stable platform" - Comment from David in IA.
"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
"You have an excellent feed. Very few spikes for Spot Forex." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"DTN feed was the only feed that consistently matched Bloomberg feed for BID/ASK data verification work these past years......DTN feed is a must for my supply & demand based trading using Cumulative Delta" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I've never had DTN go out on me since switching. ******* would go down a couple times every month when I was using them." - Comment from Bryce in AL.
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Firewalls
Author Topic: Firewalls (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)

squirlhntr
-Interested User-

Posted: May 1, 2005 06:10 PM          Msg. 1 of 11
Anyone have any information on how IQConenct interacts with firewalls?

Some firewalls I have used have not had any effects on IQConnect, but some of them will allow me to log in but seemingly not allow IQConnect to retrieve quote data. It's causing me quite a bit of consternation ;)

skunk
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: May 1, 2005 06:42 PM          Msg. 2 of 11
The very first question in the most recent version of the FAQ is the following:

Q: I don't get any data with my sample apps, Is this a firewall issue?

ANS: It could very well be. If you have a firewall running, you will need to open the following port ranges in your firewall for IQFeed to be able to connect to its servers
Ports inclusive: 5000-5050 and 60000-60050

squirlhntr
-Interested User-

Posted: May 1, 2005 08:40 PM          Msg. 3 of 11
thanks. i have another question...

when I call RegisterClientApp, it launches IQConnect.exe, correct? is that the program that opens the server port that I am connecting to to retrieve the data? so all data goes through IQConnect in some fashion?

I ask because there are firewalls that will ignore blocking certain applications by name, so iI need to know the name of what process is actually contacting the outside world for the data...

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: May 2, 2005 08:36 AM          Msg. 4 of 11
The name may come up a couple different ways. Luckily, all software firewalls I know of will prompt the user when an unknown name comes up. I have seen "client data server" and "iqconnect".

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

squirlhntr
-Interested User-

Posted: May 2, 2005 12:27 PM          Msg. 5 of 11
Thanks. I have another question related to this that maybe you could help me with.

I have a firewall that I do not control. But I can use arbitrary protocols by loading a SSL VPN (Aventail Connect, in this case) and telling the VPN to pass through data from certain programs, thus seemingly 'bypassing' the firewall.

So I tell Aventail Connect to pass through data from IqConnect.exe and python.exe (as I am writing in python)... then I call RegisterClientApp, and IQConnect logs me into the server just fine (it will not work however if I don't set up Aventail Connect properly).

However, when I attempt to connect to localhost:9100, I cannot retrieve any data. Is there something I need to be aware of in how IQConnect retrieves it's data? Does it pass it's client responsibilities off to another program?

I know it uses particular ports, but that doesn't do anything for me as I don't have control over the firewall.

/edit P.S. I am forcing IQConnect to go through a proxy server. Which seems to be fine for the login, but not for the data?
Edited by squirlhntr on May 2, 2005 at 01:00 PM

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: May 2, 2005 03:21 PM          Msg. 6 of 11
IQFeed will not work through a proxy server because the client obtains a dynamic list of IP addresses back that it connects to.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

squirlhntr
-Interested User-

Posted: May 2, 2005 03:44 PM          Msg. 7 of 11
Quote: IQFeed will not work through a proxy server because the client obtains a dynamic list of IP addresses back that it connects to.

--- Original message by DTN_Jay_Froscheiser on May 2, 2005 03:21 PM
I'm not sure I follow.

When you get a minute, could you explain why this would keep IQConnect from getting data through a proxy?

I realize you have good business reasons for not allowing proxy support--else people would leech your data. BUT at the same time all major companies who would ever use your (and mine) software will probably only use it through a proxy system so... it all seems to be a rather significant limit on your service. I guess you don't plan on a pure sockets-based approach anytime in the future?

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: May 3, 2005 08:35 AM          Msg. 8 of 11
Actually, proxy servers have all but gone away in most places. The reason it isn't supported is because IQFeed talks direct to the IP's assigned. There is no machanism to in IQFeed to tell it to point to a proxy which will forward the requests. This isn't to say we may provide support for proxies in the future, but it hasn't been a big enough issue to get full attention and to put it high on the priority list. I can assure you that our products are used on MANY major companies. Brokerages, energy companies, trading floors, etc all use our products and SOCKS or other proxy support hasn't been a large barrier to using our products.

It may be possible to use a software based SOCKS client such as one from Hummingbird (I tried this about 5 years ago and had it mostly working). In this case, you need to map a much of IP addresses and ports on your local machine for forwarding. Unfortunately, we change IPs and ports fairly often for redundancy, so, even if you can get it to work, it may be a hassle to keep up working as changes are made in our system.

Hopefully this explanation helps understand the "what and why".

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

squirlhntr
-Interested User-

Posted: May 4, 2005 10:15 AM          Msg. 9 of 11
I understand that IQConnect does not support proxies. However I can simulate proxy support for it by wrapping it in a VPN and 'spoofing' addresses. I'm thinking of Aventail Connect here.

If I use IQConnect without Aventail Connect on and configured, I cannot even log in to IQFeed. However, if I do enable Aventail Connect, I connect to IQFeed just fine through the proxy. However, I cannot retrieve any data.

Any suggestions? Why would the login server work but not the data feed?

Thanks,
Patrick

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: May 4, 2005 10:26 AM          Msg. 10 of 11
I don't know how Aventail works, but my guess is you need to tell it somehow what each IP and port go to. Unfortunately, the IP's and ports change with each login. Not knowing anything about Aventail is going to make it difficult to help you. Hopefully someone else on the board will have some information that may be of use.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

squirlhntr
-Interested User-

Posted: Jul 5, 2005 09:45 AM          Msg. 11 of 11
Just a followup in case anyone else uses SOCKS...

I never got Aventail Connect to handle IQFeed.... I was able to get it to let IQConnect to log me in, but was never able to request data from the local TCP/IP socket.

I switched out Aventail for a similar program, Permeo, and it works just fine! ;)

If you have to use SOCKS to tunnel through a network, give it a shot. I am quite pleased.

Time: Tue April 23, 2024 11:42 PM CFBB v1.2.0 15 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003