Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I've been using Neoticker RT with IQFeed for two months, and I'm very happy with both of the products (I've had IQFeed for two years with very few complaints). The service from both companies is exceptional." - Comment from Public Forum
"I use IQ Feed, Great stuff as far as data analysis information, storage and retrieval is concerned." - Comment from Public Forum
"Interactive Brokers tick data was inconsistent, so I have switched to using DTN exclusively. It is great to no longer have to worry about my datafeed all day long." - Comment from Philippe
"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
"IQ feed works very well, does not have all of the normal interruptions I have grown used to on *******" - Comment from Mark
"I will tell others who want to go into trading that DTN ProphetX is an invaluable tool, I don't think anyone can trade without it..." - Comment from Luther
"You have an excellent product !!!!!!" - Comment from Arely
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
"You are much better than lawyers or the phone company because you answer the phone when I call! I just love your customer service." - Comment from Isreal
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »2.3.0.4 quirk?
Author Topic: 2.3.0.4 quirk? (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)

kdresser
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 12, 2005 01:12 PM          Msg. 1 of 12
1. started up C++ History demo.

2. started my app that pulls loads of history data.

3. closed history demo while my app was still running.

4. iqfeed connector takes all excess cpu for 30 seconds, then relinquishes and things chug along normally again.

This might be disruptive to other running apps -- I couldn't tell how hoggish the connector was really being.

Otherwise, the multi-access of the connector seems to work nicely.

Thanks for the improvements.

DTN_Natalie_H
-DTN Evangelist-

DTN Market Access, LLC.

Posted: Jun 14, 2005 09:43 AM          Msg. 2 of 12
As of IQFeed version 2.3.0.3, IQFeed uses all excess CPU while it is processing history data requests. If your request was large, it easily could have taken 30 seconds. Thanks for posting!

Natalie

Natalie Hannan DTN Market Access, LLC.

kdresser
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 15, 2005 02:05 AM          Msg. 3 of 12
What I observed is different from DTN's explanation.

I reran the test.

1. On a started C++ history demo and verified that it was working. It was the first app to require IQConnect.

2. I started my history download, modified to ask for 120 days of minute bars for hundreds of symbols. Running by itself, it used up to 75% of a 1GHz machine. Roughly 5-6 secs per symbol retreived. Never 100% as you suggest.

3. I tried to shut down the C++ demo. Now, CPU usage does goe to 100%. This time the 100% hogging lasted 3 minutes and during that time, my history dowload attempts began timing out (they are on a 60 second inactivity (not duration) timeout). The GIF below shows this transition.

4. Once IQConnect recovered, the history download resumed.

So, to restate, my heavy minutebar history downloading does not consume 100% CPU, but shutting down the first IQConnnect user (a C++ demo) does. IQConnect was definitely abnormally distracted, as evidenced by no history being retreived during that time.

I doubt that this is by design.

Thanks for your attention.

skunk
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Jun 15, 2005 09:21 AM          Msg. 4 of 12
These symptoms suggest that bug 2663 still hasn't been fixed...

http://forums.iqfeed.net/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=433

DTN_Natalie_H
-DTN Evangelist-

DTN Market Access, LLC.

Posted: Jun 16, 2005 03:37 PM          Msg. 5 of 12
kdresser,

Thanks for posting again, I now understand the issue that you are seeing. You are correct that a disconnect of one client should not peg the CPU (thus causing other clients to stop receiving data). I will look into it. Thanks!

skunk,

I will look into it. Thanks!

kdresser
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 16, 2005 04:08 PM          Msg. 6 of 12
I tried reversing the roles of the C++ demo and my app. The problem does not occur when my app starts first and ends first, so a clue to this behavior might lie in how the apps are communicating with IQConnect.

Thanks for looking into this.

DTN_Natalie_H
-DTN Evangelist-

DTN Market Access, LLC.

Posted: Jun 17, 2005 12:41 PM          Msg. 7 of 12
I have a few questions for you:

Are you using Sockets or COM in your app to retrieve history?
Which C++ History test app are you using?
Is the C++ demo in the middle of a request when you shut it down?
Can you recreate this issue only using the demo apps?
You are requesting 120 days of 1 minute data for your symbols, correct?

Thanks for your assistance in helping me recreate this issue!

Natalie

kdresser
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 17, 2005 06:38 PM          Msg. 8 of 12
1. I use sockets.

2. I use the demo apps installed when 2.3.0.4 was installed. c:\progra~1\dtn\iqfeed\HistorySocket.exe has version property 2.3.0.4 and is 28,672 bytes.

3. The history demo is quiet when it is stopped.

4. I tried to get something failing using just demo apps.

Unfortunately, bad behaviour seems random.

In about a dozen trials, I had two identical foul ups: after starting, using, and exiting two demo apps (historysocket and level1socket) the IQConnect.exe would not shut down. No CPU hogging with this though. The lingering IQConnect prevented a new history socket from starting. Process killing was required to clear the deck.

However, there was one bit of badness that I could reliably recreate. Launch historysocket and ask for 10 TickDays of a huge volume stock (I used today's winner, MLNM). Smaller volume stocks won't trigger the problem. This time, it's historysocket that hogs the CPU and it appears to do it after receiving the tick data and filling the memo control. HistorySocket accepts a close and then it's IQConnect that hogs the CPU (forever too it looks like).

I'm hoping that this helps you in tracking down something satisfying to fix.

5. Yes, I'm requesting 120 days of 1 minute data for my symbols.

When I do my daily update tonight I'll experiment with my usual 1-day requests.

###

kdresser
-Interested User-

Posted: Jun 18, 2005 02:26 AM          Msg. 9 of 12
I see now that the "badness" above is of my own making -- when historysocket goes to 100% CPU it is because it is still receiving data and is busy updatubg its memo control. Closing historysocket while it is still receiving then causes problems for iqconnect.

If I wait long enough, the original historysocket request does finish and shutting it down doesn't upset iqconnect.

However, closing historysocket while it is busy with a response does send iqconnect 2.3.0.4 into 100% CPU where it is unresponsive to both the mouse and other apps requesting a connection.

###

DTN_Natalie_H
-DTN Evangelist-

DTN Market Access, LLC.

Posted: Jun 22, 2005 10:09 AM          Msg. 10 of 12
Ok, this thread is getting a little confusing.
Could you please restate the issues that you are still having, if any? Thanks.

Natalie

skunk
-DTN Evangelist-

Posted: Jun 23, 2005 12:19 PM          Msg. 11 of 12
I assume you are joking but maybe not...

The issue is that IQConnect does not detect when a client has disconnected. If a client disconnects while a history response is being sent to the client, then IQConnect is hosed.

Maybe somebody should check the return code from send and not keep trying to transmit if the error is WSAECONNABORTED, WSAECONNRESET, WSAETIMEDOUT.

See bug 2663 in your bug database
Edited by skunk on Jun 23, 2005 at 12:20 PM

DTN_Natalie_H
-DTN Evangelist-

DTN Market Access, LLC.

Posted: Jun 28, 2005 09:18 AM          Msg. 12 of 12
kdresser,

I am able to reproduce part of your issue. If I close HistorySocket while it is receiving data, and let it sit for a few minutes, IQConnect does appear unresponsive. But, if I wait a few minutes, it does finish processing, and shut down if it is the last client. The problem is that IQConnect is waiting for all requests to finish processing before terminating. I will log this into the bug database, as it is different than bug #2663. Thanks!

Natalie

Time: Wed April 24, 2024 2:18 AM CFBB v1.2.0 9 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003