Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"After all the anxiety I had with my previous data provider it is a relief not to have to worry about data speed and integrity." - Comment from Eamonn
"As a past ******* customer(and not a happy one), IQ Feed by DTN is a much better and cheaper product with great customer support. I have had no problems at all since switching over." - Comment from Public Forum
"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
"Can I get another account from you? I am tired of ******* going down so often" - Comment from George
"If you want customer service that answers the phone, your best bet is IQFeed. I cannot stop praising them or their technical support. They are always there for you, and they are quick. I have used ****** too but the best value is IQFeed." - Comment from Public Forum
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
"I just wanted to let u know that your data feed/service is by far the best!!! Your unfiltered tick data is excellent for reading order flow and none of your competitors delivers this quality of data!" - Comment from Peter via Email
"My broker in Davenport suggested I give you a try as he uses your service and says its the best." - Comment from Bill via RT Chat
"I had always used ******* but for the past 2 weeks have been trying DTN IQFeed. Customer support has been extraordinary. They call just to make sure your problem hasn't recurred." - Comment from Public Forum
"It’s so nice to be working with real professionals!" - Comment from Len
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »Message Content Flags
Author Topic: Message Content Flags (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)

opttrade
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 11:43 AM          Msg. 1 of 8
Hi,
could you please explain me the message content flag a little bit deeper?

As far as I understand, when subscribing a symbol I get one summary message containing all requested fields and after that I get update messages containing only fields which changed.
When I start watching a symbol I would expect that all message content flags are set in the summary message for all conditions occured in that trading session till now.
But when I start watching a symbol during a trading session which is currently running the summary message (and also not update message) does never contain an "o" flag although it contains an open.
Does the "o" really only occur when you observe the open? I also would it expect in the summary message after the open signaling there is a valid open price in the summary.

br
Erich

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 12:39 PM          Msg. 2 of 8
Slight correction here. The existence of the field flag in the Message Contents field does not necessarily indicate a change in value, simply that it was updated (sometimes with the same value).

In your scenario (initial snapshot summary message after having just sent a watch request), I would also expect the open flag to be set if the message had an open value populated.

If you watch pre-market open when the open field is still blank, the 'o' should populate in the trade message in which the open field populates.

Can you send me an example of this not happening (I just checked a few symbols and they all have had the 'o' in the Message Contents field)?

opttrade
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 01:27 PM          Msg. 3 of 8
Hi Steve,
thanks for the reply.
I just tried AAPL and AA a minute ago. Both have only "ba" in the summary message.

opttrade
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 02:24 PM          Msg. 4 of 8
Hi Steve,
strange - did there something change on your side?
I just rerun my test and AAPL and also AA is giving me now "Cbaohlcv" in the summary as expected - Why?

br
Erich

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 02:31 PM          Msg. 5 of 8
No, nothing changed on our side.

One possible explanation is if you were watching these symbols on another connection to the feed during the previous test and not during the current test.

The Message Contents field is populated based on the last message received from the servers.

In the scenario where one connection is already watching the symbol, and a 2nd client connects and watches the same symbol, the summary message is generated locally on your machine (cause it already has all the data there). However, the Message contents on the summary message for the 2nd client is not re-generated and instead will contain whatever the values that apply to the most recent message received from the server for that symbol (so in your example, it was a bid/ask update).

opttrade
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 02:52 PM          Msg. 6 of 8
Hi Steve,
indeed, another program was connected to the feed.

But: I've a few programs working completly independend from each other - they don't know each other and are trading different strategies on different accounts.
Each of the programs opens a connection to the IQFeed and rely on the feed!

It's absolutly inaceptable that two different connections get differnet informations because the feed client says: hey, I've sent the open information allready to the other connections and because of that I don't give you the information...

Technically this leads to absurdity of accepting multiple connections.

This information is a big surprise to me and a showstopper in using IQFeed.

Any idea how to solve?

br
Erich

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 05:22 AM          Msg. 7 of 8
The data in the fields themselves is still correct. It's only the Message Contents field that is misleading.

As a result, the solution/work around to this issue would be to ignore the message contents field on summary messages and check the fields manually (again, this is only necessary for summary messages).

opttrade
-Interested User-

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 06:20 AM          Msg. 8 of 8
Hi Steve,
thanks for reply.

So in summary this means:

If connected by multiple connections:
  • In summary messages the values are correct but the "message content" may be wrong / incomplete when watching the same symbol via different connections. For example: if there is a value in Open then just the "o" is missing, but the open occured.
  • In update messages all connected connections will get the same values and same correct "message content".

If so, I think I can work around this, but please take in on your roadmap for the next update

Are there any other surprises waiting for me when using multiple connections?

br
Erich

Time: Tue April 23, 2024 5:38 PM CFBB v1.2.0 12 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003