Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"This beats the pants off CQG, I am definitely switching to the ProphetX 3.0!" - Comment from Stephen
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"I just wanted to let you know how fast and easy I found it to integrate IQFeed into our existing Java code using your JNI client. In my experience, such things almost never go so smoothly - great job!" - Comment from Nate
"Thanks for following up with me. You guys do a great job in tech support." - Comment from Phelps
"I am very happy I changed. I love the product, but more so I am thrilled with Tech Support. You are knowledgeable, polite, pleasant and professional." - Comment from Pat
"Very impressed with the quality of your feed - ******* is a real donkey in comparison." - Comment from A.C. via Email
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
"For anyone considering using DTN.IQ for a data feed, my experience with the quality of data and the tech support has been very positive." - Comment from Public Forum
"I started a trial a few weeks back before the market went wild. DTN.IQ didn’t miss anything and beat my other provider. I decided to stay with you because of the great service through all the volatility." - Comment from Mike
"I'm satisfied with IQFeed. It's the most reliable and fastest quote feed I have ever used. Although I'm a resident in China, it's still very fast!" - Comment from Xiaofei
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
Viewing User Profile for: andrewm
About Contact
Last Post: May 16, 2023 12:32 PM
Interests:
AIM:
Yahoo IM:
Post Statistics
andrewm has contributed to 52 posts out of 21185 total posts (0.25%) in 3,343 days (0.02 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
IQFeed API Questions » 5MS for CBOT_GBX? May 16, 2023 12:32 PM (Total replies: 2)

Gary answered this for me via email. 5MS,8,30 was the winning answer:
-Andrew

Five MS works for all exchanges (if you are subscribed to them), But you have to enter the exchange group number, not the exchange number. From the SLM command:

LS,111,CBOT_GBX,Chicago Board Of Trade (GLOBEX),30,CBOT,

You need:

5MS,8,30

30 is the Exchange Group number. Change 8 to the symbol type you want (from SST command). The response will also return other "group 30" symbols,but the response includes the specific exchange number so you can filter them that way.

IQFeed API Questions » Connecting to API using TCP/IP via Excel VBA May 14, 2023 12:17 PM (Total replies: 9)

I'm slightly joking about Excel. It's a great spreadsheet but it's terrible as a realtime trading platform or any other ways people abuse it.

• Logic gets divided between formulas in cells and VBA code.
  • You can't use version control (Git, etc) to manage development in Excel.
  • multiple developers, traders, etc can't collaborate on an excel spreadsheet simultaneously.
  • Tools enabling software development best-practices like unit testing frameworks do no exist for Excel.

Now most of what a trader does in Excel is better done using Python + Jupyter notebooks or Plotly Dash.

IQFeed API Questions » 5MS for CBOT_GBX? May 12, 2023 06:23 PM (Total replies: 2)

Does 5MS work for CBOT_GBX?

for example to collect a snapshot including the symbol @FFG24 these both do not work:

5MS,8,111
5MS,41,111,test
test,E,50007,No file available.

IQFeed API Questions » Connecting to API using TCP/IP via Excel VBA May 12, 2023 11:20 AM (Total replies: 9)

Step 1: Don't use Excel
Step 2: If you ignored step 1, try https://excel-dna.net/

Miscellaneous Messages » Support for Linux API for the datafeed? May 12, 2023 11:15 AM (Total replies: 33)

It's funny that DTN recommends running their IQ Feed Windows client on Linux/Mac using something called CrossOver when DTN could so easily just release a native version instead!

https://iqhelp.dtn.com/apple-linux-other-operating-systems/

Miscellaneous Messages » Support for Linux API for the datafeed? Jan 2, 2023 12:47 PM (Total replies: 33)

If IQ Feed would publish the protocol I'm sure it would be fairly easy for the community to whip up a decent open source Linux client.

Miscellaneous Messages » Support for Linux API for the datafeed? Jan 2, 2023 12:24 PM (Total replies: 33)

Happy new year!

It's 2023. It's time to build a Linux command line (no GUI) version of the IQ Feed client.

New IQFeed Forum » Full options chain command? Nov 22, 2022 03:18 PM (Total replies: 10)

Here's the others I collect:

cboe_index.py:

from main import start
from datetime import datetime

print('starting cboe index at ' + str(datetime.now()))
DATA_PATH = 'c:\\data\\cboe_index'
TEMP_FILE = 'c:\\temp\\cboe_index.csv'
COMPRESSED_FILE = "cboe_index.7z"
SECURITY_TYPE = 6 # CBOE
MARKET = 13 # index
start(DATA_PATH, TEMP_FILE, COMPRESSED_FILE, SECURITY_TYPE, MARKET)

cbot_futures.py

from main import start

print('starting cbot futures at ' + str(datetime.now()))
DATA_PATH = 'c:\\data\\cbot_futures'
TEMP_FILE = 'c:\\temp\\cbot_futures.csv'
COMPRESSED_FILE = "cbot_futures.7z"
SECURITY_TYPE = 8 # futures
MARKET = 30 # CBOT

cme_futures.py

from main import start

print('starting cme futures at ' + str(datetime.now()))
DATA_PATH = 'c:\\data\\cme_futures'
TEMP_FILE = 'c:\\temp\\cme_futures.csv'
COMPRESSED_FILE = "cme_futures.7z"
SECURITY_TYPE = 8 # futures
MARKET = 34 # CME

cme_options.py

from main import start

print('starting cme options at ' + str(datetime.now()))
DATA_PATH = 'c:\\data\\cme_options'
TEMP_FILE = 'c:\\temp\\cme_options.csv'
COMPRESSED_FILE = "cme_options.7z"
SECURITY_TYPE = 9 # options
MARKET = 34 # CME

nasdaq_equities.py

from main import start

print('starting nasdaq at ' + str(datetime.now()))
DATA_PATH = 'c:\\data\\nasdaq'
TEMP_FILE = 'c:\\temp\\nasdaq.csv'
COMPRESSED_FILE = "nasdaq.7z"
SECURITY_TYPE = 1 # equities
MARKET = 5 # NASDAQ

nyse_equities.py

from main import start

print('starting nyse at ' + str(datetime.now()))
DATA_PATH = 'c:\\data\\nyse'
TEMP_FILE = 'c:\\temp\\nyse.csv'
COMPRESSED_FILE = "nyse.7z"
SECURITY_TYPE = 1 # stock
MARKET = 7 # NYSE

New IQFeed Forum » Full options chain command? Nov 22, 2022 02:38 PM (Total replies: 10)

You're welcome. Glad it helps. It's a little rough around the edges. getDirectory should be made functional instead of having the side effect of also creating the dir. Some logging would be nice, etc. But it works...

New IQFeed Forum » Full options chain command? Nov 22, 2022 11:02 AM (Total replies: 10)

Here's a couple python files that will collect the OPRA snapshots and compress them to 7z format. I put this in a windows scheduled task. You can replace opra.py values with other markets. I collect several.

opra.py:

from main import start

print('starting opra at ' + str(datetime.now()))
DATA_PATH = 'c:\\data\\opra'
TEMP_FILE = 'c:\\temp\\opra.csv'
COMPRESSED_FILE = "opra.7z"
SECURITY_TYPE = 2 # equity options
MARKET = 14 # OPRA

main.py:

import shutil
import socket
from pathlib import Path
import subprocess
from os import makedirs

ZIP_EXE = 'c:\\util\\7z\\7z.exe'
HOST = '127.0.0.1'
PORT = 9100

def getDirectory(data_path):
today = datetime.today().strftime('%Y-%m-%d')
todaysPath = data_path + '\\' + today
Path(todaysPath).mkdir(parents=True, exist_ok=True)
return todaysPath

def get7zFilename():
now = datetime.now()
print("now =", now)
today = datetime.today().strftime('%Y-%m-%d')
dt_string = today + "_" + now.strftime("%H%M")
print("date and time =", dt_string)
filename = dt_string + ".7z";
print("filename = "+filename);
return filename

def start(data_path, temp_file, compressed_file, security_type, market):
print('start sec type ' + str(security_type) + ' market ' + str(market))
with socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM) as s:
s.connect((HOST, PORT))
s.sendall(b'S,SET PROTOCOL,6.2\n')
s.sendall(bytes('5MS,' + str(security_type) + "," + str(market) + '\n', 'ascii'))
f = s.makefile()
line = f.readline()
# for line in f.readline():
print("line="+repr(line))
line = ''
outfile = open(temp_file, "w");
while not line.startswith('!ENDMSG!'):
line = f.readline()
outfile.write(line)
#print("line=" + repr(line))
outfile.close()
f.close()
dir = getDirectory(data_path)
fn = dir + "\\" + get7zFilename()
subprocess.call([ZIP_EXE, 'a', fn, temp_file])
# shutil.copy2(fn, dir + "\\" + compressed_file)
print("done")
# print('Received', repr(data))

IQFeed API Questions » 5MS 5-min market summary Jun 4, 2022 07:47 PM (Total replies: 6)

Any suggestions on this? Can the current bid/ask be added to the 5MS snapshots?

Also the documentation should make it clear that the 5MS snapshots don't contain the current bid/ask since including week-old bid/ask in a 5-min snap is really counterintuitive.
Edited by andrewm on Jun 5, 2022 at 08:57 AM

New IQFeed Forum » Full options chain command? Jan 1, 2022 09:33 AM (Total replies: 10)

No reply.

I believe it's not supported

Data Questions » options Complex Order Books? Nov 18, 2021 04:34 AM (Total replies: 12)

if a spread trade executes at a single price on an options exchange's Complex Order Book, how would that be reported on OPRA? How would they decompose the spread into individual legs with an execution price for each leg?

Data Questions » options Complex Order Books? Nov 17, 2021 06:47 AM (Total replies: 12)

Can we see US options exchanges' complex order books?

IQFeed API Questions » 5MS 5-min market summary Jun 17, 2021 05:30 PM (Total replies: 6)

The problem with these 5MS market summary snapshots is that they don't give you the current bid/ask. They give you the bid/ask at the time of the most recent trade which may have been hours, days or weeks ago. Right?

Can that be fixed?

New IQFeed Forum » Full options chain command? May 4, 2021 05:33 PM (Total replies: 10)

A command to get a current snapshot of the full options chain for one expiration date like yahoo shows would be nice:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AAPL/options?p=AAPL

They give:
Contract Name
Last Trade Date
Strike
Last Price
Bid
Ask
Change
% Change
Volume
Open Interest
implied vol <- probably not needed

Currently with IQ Feed I think you have to query the whole chain, then iterate over it, subscribing and unsubscribing to each symbol. Right?

IQFeed API Questions » OPRA Market Summary Bid/Ask May 3, 2021 05:58 PM (Total replies: 3)

Keep in mind that the bid/ask in 5MS were at the time of the last trade, which may have been days ago.

IQFeed Developer Support » can 5MS summary please be fixed? May 3, 2021 05:27 PM (Total replies: 0)

The 5MS snapshot is NOT delivering the current market data. The bid/ask is of the time of the last trade which may have been days earlier.

The docs say this:

5MS,[Security Type],[Group ID],[RequestID]<CR><LF>
5 Minute Snapshot Summary - Retrieves a snapshot of the current market data for all symbols in a Security Type and Exchange Group.
NOTE: The timing of the snapshot is not guaranteed, but data will be gathered every 5 minutes.

IQFeed API Questions » OPRA Market Summary Bid/Ask Apr 8, 2021 09:45 AM (Total replies: 3)

You might find this thread helpful:

http://forums.dtn.com/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=5679

Data Questions » Only TRADES for "HIT" historical data requests? Apr 8, 2021 12:27 AM (Total replies: 14)

> You'll find that when you use that mechanism for liquid instruments
> the quality of data becomes lacking due to the high frequency aspects of the data.

Agreed that it's not perfect however it's much better than nothing which is effectively what we have now for historical intraday quotes on thinly traded products such as nearly all equity option contracts.

> Collecting data real-time during the day allows you to catch the stream as it happens

Except:

You can only collect as many symbols as your account is permissioned for.
If you decide to test a new strategy on 6 months of historical data you must first spend 6 months collecting it.
If you want to know how your new strategy would have performed during some historical event when you weren't collecting data on that particular symbol, too bad.

> I believe DTN's choice of quote at trade storage is a reasonable trade-off.

It may work for @ES and SPY but for a product that rarely trades it's mostly useless. The data storage requirements for snapshotting the BBO would be minimal since snapshots would only need to include changed quotes. Even if the symbol's quote changed every second, 23 hours a day and 100 byte records were stored that's only 8MB/day/symbol. Actual sizes would be far smaller.

Time: Thu April 18, 2024 10:14 PM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003