Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I ran your IQFeed DDE vs. my broker vs. a level II window for some slow-moving options. I would see the level II quote change, then your feed update instantaneously. My broker's DDE, however, would take as much as 30 seconds to update. I am not chasing milliseconds, but half a minute is unacceptable." - Comment from Rob
"This beats the pants off CQG, I am definitely switching to the ProphetX 3.0!" - Comment from Stephen
"I've been using IQFeed 4 in a multi-threaded situation for the last week or two on 2600 symbols or so with 100 simultaneous daily charts, and I have had 100% responsiveness." - Comment from Scott
"You are much better than lawyers or the phone company because you answer the phone when I call! I just love your customer service." - Comment from Isreal
"You are either overstaffed or people just don't have problems with your feed because customer support always answers the phone quickly." - Comment from Jay via Email
"Everything is working great with the API. I love it." - Comment from Calvin
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"IQ feed is brilliant. The support is mind-bending. What service!" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I just wanted to say how happy I am with your service. I was able to download the API docs last week and I was able to replicate Interactive Brokers historical bar queries and realtime bar queries over the weekend. That was about one of the fastest integrations that I've ever done and it works perfectly!!!!" - Comment from Jason via Email
"You have an excellent product !!!!!!" - Comment from Arely
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »Data and Content Support »Discrepancy in @ES volume
Author Topic: Discrepancy in @ES volume (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)

josh
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 13, 2012 10:28 AM          Msg. 1 of 5
Why does my daily bar and T&S show more volume in @ES than the sum of intraday bar volumes? Daily bar and time and sales currently shows 1.24M, and sum of intraday shows about 780K.

DTN_ToddH
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Mar 13, 2012 11:05 AM          Msg. 2 of 5
Hello Josh,

There are two data fields for volume in IQFeed - Incremental volume and Total volume -
and they do not necessarily match.

Incremental volume shows the volume of the current trades and is likely the field that you are looking at when you refer to the sum of intraday volume.

The total volume field (shown commonly as daily volume) includes additional data that is not included in incremental volume. One of the main differences in the two fields comes from Implied trades. Implied trades are legitimate trades that come from the exchange and they do not qualify to set a last/open/high/low, but they are counted in total volume. Because of issues like that, the sum of incremental volume does not match the total volume.

josh
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 13, 2012 01:05 PM          Msg. 3 of 5
Thanks for the reply Todd!

Could these implied trades potentially even be outside of the day's range? And do you know if the volume shown on my T&S, which reflects the daily bar (increased) volume, will update instantly as these trades take place, or are they updated at some interval? I remember now seeing this with CL before but have not looked at this with ES before --that I would see a tick on the T&S, say with a volume of 1, and the total volume on the T&S would show an increase of 5. I suppose this is the same thing you're referring to.

DTN_ToddH
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Mar 13, 2012 02:04 PM          Msg. 4 of 5
Hi Josh,

Yes, it is possible that the implied trades could take place outside of the day's range. And the implied trades change the total volume figures when the exchange sends out the information. Your example of seeing this happen in crude oil was a good example of that.

josh
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 26, 2012 08:27 AM          Msg. 5 of 5
I would like to post this reply for anyone with the same question I had, as I have done a little extra stats on the subject and wish to share them.

While the answer Todd gave may be accurate, incorrect conclusions could be drawn from it. The attached image of my spreadsheet shows a small data set, about 50 days, that encompasses two rollover periods in the ES contract.

The data clearly shows a correlation between rollover/expiration period and volume discrepancy between "intraday" volume and volume reported on the daily bar.

A few days before rollover, the differences become apparent. The largest change is rollover day itself, followed by a convergence towards agreement the day after expiration day.

I would expect that if the contract volumes for the old and new contracts at rollover were added, that these would approximately equal that of the daily bar volume, though one would have to verify this himself to be sure.

So in short, there may be differences in volume on "normal" days that account for less than 1% difference from things like implied volume, but the large (5% and larger) discrepancies can be attributed to rollover and expiration.

File Attached: 3-26-2012 9-07-16 AM.png (downloaded 1276 times)

Time: Wed May 1, 2024 9:50 PM CFBB v1.2.0 16 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003