Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I am keeping IQFeed, much better reliabilty than *******. I may refer a few other people in the office to switch as well." - Comment from Don
"Everything is working great with the API. I love it." - Comment from Calvin
"I like you guys better than *******...much more stable and a whole lot fewer issues." - Comment from Philip
"You are much better than lawyers or the phone company because you answer the phone when I call! I just love your customer service." - Comment from Isreal
"As a past ******* customer(and not a happy one), IQ Feed by DTN is a much better and cheaper product with great customer support. I have had no problems at all since switching over." - Comment from Public Forum
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
"I "bracket trade" all major news releases and I have not found one lag or glitch with DTN.IQ feed. I am very comfortable with their feed under all typical news conditions (Fed releases, employment numbers, etc)." - Comment from Public Forum
"IQ feed is brilliant. The support is mind-bending. What service!" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I have to tell you though that using the IQFeed API is about the easiest and cleanest I have seen for some time." - Comment from Jim
"This is an excellent value, the system is generous (allowing for 500 stocks) and stable (and really is tick-by-tick), and the support is fantastic." - Comment from Shirin via Email
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
Viewing User Profile for: brandon
About Contact
Last Post: Feb 11, 2006 09:23 AM
Interests:
AIM:
Yahoo IM:
Post Statistics
brandon has contributed to 19 posts out of 21199 total posts (0.09%) in 6,698 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
IQFeed Developer Support » VB Code to Compute RSI -- What's wrong? Feb 11, 2006 09:23 AM (Total replies: 1)

Hello everyone!

I modified the sample Visual Basic code that was given to retrieve historical data via COM so that I could compute RSI on the fly from historical 5-minute bars. It would start with the first bar returned (the oldest) and calculate all the way to the last bar. I assumed a 14-period (15 data points) period for Wilder RSI.

I used the formula taken from here for Wilder RSI: http://www.stockcharts.com/education/IndicatorAnalysis/indic_RSI.html. However, my results don't seem to be returning the same RSI as sites like prophet.net and other technical analysis tools. Also, when I put in a longer timeframe for the data pulled (like 5 days), the RSI remains the same although it should be different since it is smoothed. I have pasted the code below. Maybe someone could help me out here? I am not sure what I am doing wrong!

This is my modified version of the original history.frm. I added a list box, List1, that contains ticker symbols. The code of the form is below (with comments). Most of the code is in CalcRS and hlookup_MinuteCompleted.

For whatever reason, the RSI is not changing when I give it more data (5 days instead of, say, 2) which is bizaare. I must be doing something wrong. Does anybody have any experience with this that could help me?

Option Explicit
Dim WithEvents hlookup As HistoryLookup ' History COM object
Dim loaded As Boolean
Dim curSymbol As String
Dim globSpun As Boolean
Dim lAG, lAL
Dim okayz As Boolean

'-----------------------
' Registers the application with IQFeed, and starts the IQConnect data service
' Also populates the HistoryType combo box with type of history requests
Private Sub Form_Load()
loaded = False
Dim strName As String
Dim strVersion As String
Dim strKey As String

strName = "IQFEED_DEMO"
strVersion = "1"
strKey = "1"

loaded = IQFeedY1.RegisterClientApp(strName, strVersion, strKey)

Set hlookup = New HistoryLookup
Go.Enabled = False

lAG = 0
lAL = 0
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Unload(icancel As Integer)
Set hlookup = Nothing
IQFeedY1.RemoveClientApp
End Sub

'-----------------------
'Initialize COM object and make the request when user clicks on the go button.
Private Sub Go_Click()
Dim i As Integer

If Not loaded Then
Set hlookup = New HistoryLookup
End If

okayz = True

For i = 1 To List1.ListCount
' Wait for the last request to finish
While okayz = False
DoEvents
Wend

' List1 contains a list of ticker symbols
curSymbol = List1.List(i)
okayz = False
hlookup.RequestMinuteHistory curSymbol, 1, 5
Next i
End Sub

Private Sub hlookup_AbortedLoad(ByVal bsReason As String)
MsgBox bsReason
End Sub

' This function calculates the RS
Private Function CalcRS(closes As Variant)
Dim UpTotal, DownTotal
Dim i As Integer
Dim Diff
Dim AvgGain, AvgLoss, RS

UpTotal = 0
DownTotal = 0

' We start at 2 since the first value is only used for reference
For i = 2 To 15
Diff = closes(i) - closes(i - 1)
If Diff > 0 Then
' Up Session
UpTotal = UpTotal + Abs(Diff)
ElseIf Diff < 0 Then
' Down Session
DownTotal = DownTotal + Abs(Diff)
Else
' Flat leave it the same
End If
Next i

' Compute "average" gain & loss
AvgGain = UpTotal / 14
AvgLoss = DownTotal / 14

' Set global variables
lAG = AvgGain
lAL = AvgLoss

' Return RS (AvgGain / AvgLoss)
CalcRS = AvgGain / AvgLoss
End Function

'-----------------------
' If minute request databars are returned then display them
Private Sub hlookup_MinuteCompleted(ByVal lMinutesLoaded As Long, ByVal aTime As Variant, ByVal aOpen As Variant, ByVal aClose As Variant, ByVal aHigh As Variant, ByVal aLow As Variant, ByVal aVolume As Variant, ByVal IntVolume As Variant)
Dim data As String
Dim i, c, n As Integer ' Counters
Dim closes(15) ' Variable holding closing prices
Dim rsi ' Actual RSI computed at end from smooth RSI
Dim offset As Integer
Dim pGain, pLoss ' Previous gain & loss
Dim srs ' Will contain smoothed RS

pGain = 0
pLoss = 0

' Set closing prices array to get first RS from CalcRS()
For i = 1 To 15
closes(i) = aClose(i)
Next i

' Calculate first RS and set global variables
CalcRS (closes)

' Now, we start from the second closing price instead of the first
offset = 2

' For each data point, run the CalcRS function and smooth it
For i = 16 To lMinutesLoaded
c = 1

' Set closes array from offset to the closing price data point we're currently at
For n = offset To i
closes(c) = aClose(n)
c = c + 1
Next n

' Remember previous gain and loss
pGain = lAG
pLoss = lAL

' Set new gain/loss into lAG and lAL. This is why we saved them.
CalcRS (closes)

' Now calculate the smoothed RS.
srs = (((pGain * 13) + lAG) / 14) / (((pLoss * 13) + lAL) / 14)

' Increase offset so we start off with the next closing price
offset = offset + 1
Next i

' Get the actual RSI value from the smoothed RS
rsi = 100 - (100 / (1 + srs))

HistoryList.Text = HistoryList.Text & "RSI for " & CStr(curSymbol) & ": " + CStr(rsi) + vbCrLf

' Set this variable to TRUE so that the requesting loop knows its okay to go on
okayz = True
End Sub

'-----------------------
' If day request databars are returned then display them
Private Sub hlookup_DayCompleted(ByVal lDaysLoaded As Long, ByVal aTime As Variant, ByVal aOpen As Variant, ByVal aClose As Variant, ByVal aHigh As Variant, ByVal aLow As Variant, ByVal aVolume As Variant)
Dim data As String
Dim i As Integer
For i = 1 To lDaysLoaded
data = data & aTime(i) & "," & aOpen(i) & "," & aClose(i) & "," & aHigh(i) & "," & aLow(i) & "," & aVolume(i) & vbCrLf
Next i
HistoryList.Text = data

End Sub
'-----------------------
' Receives the status of the IQConnect data service
' status = 0, Then IQConnect is unavailable
' status = -1, Then IQConnect could not be loaded (Possible installation issue)
Private Sub IQFeedY1_IQConnectStatus(strStatus As String)
If strStatus = "-1" Then
MsgBox "IQFeedY Reports an error loading IQFeed."
ElseIf strStatus = "0" Then
MsgBox "IQFeedY Reports IQConnect shutdown."
Unload History
End If
End Sub

Private Sub IQFeedY1_SystemMessage(strSystemData As String)
If InStr(strSystemData, "S,SERVER CONNECTED") > 0 Then
Go.Enabled = True
End If
End Sub

Thanks!

Brandon
Edited by brandon on Feb 11, 2006 at 09:24 AM

IQFeed Developer Support » Too much data for my program to handle! Jan 14, 2006 12:19 AM (Total replies: 6)

That's the bizaare thing -- I don't even use a percent or so! Perhaps I'm using usleep() too liberally? And any ideas on why it would hurt to use multiple connections?

Regards,

Brandon

IQFeed Developer Support » Too much data for my program to handle! Jan 13, 2006 09:22 PM (Total replies: 6)

When monitoring approximately 100 or so ACTIVE issues, I have quite a bottleneck; my program seems to not be capable of reading in line-by-line at nearly the speed that data is received, and the queue seems to fill up considerably. I am reading in one line at a time from the update server (port 5009) by read()ing data from the socket until a CRLF is received; after receiving a line, it parses it by the commas, creates the struct, fills in the value, and passes it to each of my threads analyzing the data.

For instance, I know that the client is receiving update lines every time a bid/ask changes (as part of the update types; one for tick, one for after hours, one for bid , one for ask, etc) and in active issues such as GOOG (where even with my normal display software it's hard to keep up with all the changes!) it causes an excessive amount of traffic.

Having said this, a couple of questions and theories:

* Is there anyway to limit this amount of data? Can you send me an update only when a tick occurs?
* Would establishing multiple connections to the update server help? E.g., for every 10 symbols, have one connection? Connection 1 would monitor A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, & J, connection 2 K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S & T, and so forth. Could this help the problem?
* Having me write a seperate program to connect to the feed (10 symbols per connection), and on a tick change (up or down) send the message down the pipe to my analysis program? This way, it's only reading tick changes as opposed to EVERYTHING.

Would any of this help? Being new to IQFeed, and not having access to the source code or knowledge of the way the backend operates, I don't know what is the best method for monitoring data. I am asking this question of the programmers of IQFeed and others who have used IQFeed to power their program with no lag.

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

IQFeed Developer Support » Update/Summary 'close' roll-over Jan 12, 2006 12:31 AM (Total replies: 1)

When does the 'close' value in an Update/Summary message display the last trading day's close? It is 1:30 EST on Thursday and 'close' is still returning the closing price on AAPL at 80.86 (Tuesday's close price). Should it not return Wednesday's closing price of 83.90? When does it roll over?

Thanks,

Brandon

IQFeed Developer Support » Question about days to query for historical Jan 10, 2006 01:15 PM (Total replies: 2)

Thank you!

- Brandon

IQFeed Developer Support » 4.1 Tuning Jan 8, 2006 05:26 PM (Total replies: 22)

I am coding in C on the UNIX platform. I have multiple socket connections open to port 9100 through the form of multiple threads. Each thread has a connection to the server on port 9100.

I don't have any snippets to show atm, but I do know it's not any faster and I am not sure why. Have you experienced that at all?

IQFeed Developer Support » 4.1 Tuning Jan 8, 2006 04:40 PM (Total replies: 22)

I am positive that I am making the requests simultaneously. I have no idea why it is behaving like this.

IQFeed Developer Support » 4.1 Tuning Jan 8, 2006 02:39 PM (Total replies: 22)

I second this request. When I request data from the the historical server from multiple connections, I get no speed increase whatsoever. Instead, it seems that the requests are queued and delivered in what seems to be sequential order.

Is there anyway to get the data faster? I have over 1000 symbols I need to query daily. Right now it seems as if Yahoo! is faster for EOD day data than the IQ service I'm paying for!

Also, does this problem occur on port 5009 (the update server)? I am thinking of assigning 50 symbols per connection to hopefully eliminate any kind of bottlenecks that having 500 symbols updating over one socket may incur. Is this a good idea?

As a plus, 4.1 seems to be much more stable than 4.0. At least the data won't just mysteriously stop transferring :-).

Thanks,

Brandon

IQFeed Developer Support » Question about days to query for historical Jan 8, 2006 02:34 PM (Total replies: 2)

I have written a function to return the amount of days for which to query the historical server given a number of trading days. For instance, if today is Monday and the market has been open or is open, and you want the past two days of data, it will return 4, as it will skip over weekends. Otherwise, if the market is NOT open, it will return 5, as it will only be able to retrieve Friday and Thursday.

This has been integrated with a holiday schedule checker (MarketOpen() function) to determine whether or not the market was closed on that day (Christmas, Easter, etc).

The function is below. I ask DTN developers to please let me know if this logic is correct:

* If day is a weekend, increase the number of days to query by 1.
* If the time of the CURRENT DAY is prior to the market opening (9:30 am), then increase the number of days to query by 1.

Is this correct? Please note the function below, and take a look at the TODO comments.

/*
* Get the actual amount of days to query the IQConnect server for 'days' trading days.
*/
int GetQueryDays(int days)
{
struct tm l_tm;
int cur_hour, cur_min, cur_day, cur_mon, cur_year, cur_wday;
time_t l_time = time(NULL);
int num_days = 0;
int i;

if (!days)
return 1;

localtime_r(&l_time, &l_tm);

cur_min = l_tm.tm_min;
cur_hour = l_tm.tm_hour;
cur_day = l_tm.tm_mday;
cur_mon = l_tm.tm_mon;
cur_year = l_tm.tm_year;
cur_wday = l_tm.tm_wday;

num_days = days;
i = 1;

/* First, check if we're in a trading day, and the request is only for one day. */
if (days == 1)
{
if (cur_wday != 0 && cur_wday != 6 && cur_hour <= 23 && cur_min <= 59)
{
if (cur_hour > 8)
{
/* TODO: > 30 may be buggy? It depends on when they roll-over for 1 minute bars. Check this later. */
if (cur_hour == 9 && cur_min > 30)
return 1; /* Just one day is needed. */
}
}
}

while (i <= days)
{
if (cur_wday == 0)
cur_wday = 6;
else
cur_wday -= 1;

if (cur_day == 1)
{
if (cur_mon == 0)
{
/* First day of January; we have to scroll-back a year. */
cur_year -= 1;
cur_mon = 11;
}
else
{
cur_mon -= 1;
}

cur_day = NumberOfDaysInMonth(cur_mon, cur_year);
}
else
cur_day -= 1;

if (Market_Open(cur_mon, cur_day, cur_wday, 11, 30))
i++;
else
num_days++;
}

/* If today is a weekend, or it's past midnight but before the market open, then add another day to the total. */
if (l_tm.tm_wday == 0 || l_tm.tm_wday == 6)
num_days++;
else if (l_tm.tm_hour >= 0 && l_tm.tm_hour <= 8)
num_days++;
else if (l_tm.tm_hour == 9 && l_tm.tm_min <= 30)
{
/* TODO: <= 30 may be buggy? It depends on when they roll-over for 1 minute bars. Check this later. */
num_days++;
}

return num_days;
}

Thanks in advance!

Brandon
Edited by brandon on Jan 8, 2006 at 02:35 PM

I've noticed this with other symbols in the past as well. Is there some kind of data that we can access to determine which symbols are splitting, have split, and when? So that way we can divide by the split appropriately to adjust for it.

Just putting in my two cents!

Brandon

Do you have any plans to send this information? It would be very helpful, and wouldn't require too much on your end I do not think?

Brandon

I cannot seem to get the last price executed in after hours market trading within the summary message. For instance, with YHOO, I get this (it is 3:25 AM EST now, all is closed):

P,YHOO,F,41.5300,0.,,0,200,0,0,0.0100,8999.9998,100,100,,175,0.,18:06t,,0,41.5300,8999.9898,,,,t,N,,,,01/05/2006,,41.5300,,,,0.,0,38.3,,,,,1,,58920106.079999998,14,4,,12829610,AMEX-BSE-CSE-CHX-PSE-NMS,,,,,0,,,41.4185,,,

YHOO closed the normal trading session at 41.53 today, but according to Yahoo Finance, is up .22 to 41.75 in the after hours on the ECN.

The issue occurs with all stocks, not just YHOO.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Brandon

IQFeed Developer Support » Historical Data Server Jan 5, 2006 06:39 PM (Total replies: 5)

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. I did not realize that I need not send the \r\n after each command. I have now corrected my program.

Brandon

IQFeed Developer Support » Historical Data Server Jan 4, 2006 10:29 PM (Total replies: 5)

To further clarify, here is what is happening (logged from a telnet session to the history server, port 9100):

> telnet localhost 9100
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
HM,X,1,60;
2006-01-04 17:00:00,49.84,49.84,49.84,49.84,2447300,58800
2006-01-04 16:00:00,50.00,49.57,49.59,49.82,2388500,501500
2006-01-04 15:00:00,49.89,49.40,49.84,49.59,1823500,315200
2006-01-04 14:00:00,49.88,49.71,49.83,49.83,1508100,123000
2006-01-04 13:00:00,50.20,49.69,50.18,49.84,1384900,267000
2006-01-04 12:00:00,50.22,49.58,49.64,50.19,1117900,340700
2006-01-04 11:00:00,49.77,49.43,49.45,49.65,775000,474600
2006-01-04 10:00:00,49.68,49.00,49.44,49.45,297200,292900

!ENDMSG!
HM,MSFT,1,60;
!SYNTAX_ERROR!
HT,X,1;
!SYNTAX_ERROR!

... and so on ...

I have to disconnect and reconnect in order to receive a valid response to my requests.

This is IQFeed v4.1.0.0.

Thanks,

Brandon

IQFeed Developer Support » Historical Data Server Jan 4, 2006 10:10 PM (Total replies: 5)

Steve,

I am not using v4.0.0.0. I am using 4.1.0.0.

Any ideas?

IQFeed Developer Support » Historical Data Server Jan 4, 2006 04:40 PM (Total replies: 5)

When I issue a request for historical data on port 9100, it returns the data just fine, ending with the !ENDMSG! message. After the first message I am unable to retrieve anymore historical data, being told !SYNTAX ERROR! or the like. I must re-connect to the server to issue the next command.

Is there something I must put after the first request in order to retrieve more?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

IQFeed Developer Support » Pre/Post Market Last, Change, etc Jan 4, 2006 02:13 PM (Total replies: 3)

I am not referring to a particular exchange or ECN; just the last extended trade price, period. It doesn't seem to be returning the correct one. You would imagine that the field would contain the last pre-market price, and it does not. Any ideas?

IQFeed Developer Support » Pre/Post Market Last, Change, etc Jan 4, 2006 02:00 PM (Total replies: 3)

Er repost?
Edited by brandon on Jan 4, 2006 at 02:13 PM

IQFeed Developer Support » Pre/Post Market Last, Change, etc Jan 4, 2006 01:49 PM (Total replies: 3)

I retrieved the field 'Extended trading last' for various stocks that had gapped up or down this morning (1/4) and from the after-hours market last night (1/3), and found that the last price is shown as the last trade price during normal hours. How do I get the last price traded on the ECNs?

Thanks,

Brandon

Time: Mon May 6, 2024 5:20 AM CFBB v1.2.0 12 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003