Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I cannot believe what a difference it makes trading with ProphetX!" - Comment from Bruce in Los Angeles
"I've been using Neoticker RT with IQFeed for two months, and I'm very happy with both of the products (I've had IQFeed for two years with very few complaints). The service from both companies is exceptional." - Comment from Public Forum
"Its working FABULOUSLY for me!! Holy cow...there has been so much I've been missing lately, and with this feed and Linnsoft software...I'm in the game now." - Comment from Chris R.
"I just wanted to let you know how fast and easy I found it to integrate IQFeed into our existing Java code using your JNI client. In my experience, such things almost never go so smoothly - great job!" - Comment from Nate
"I like you guys better than *******...much more stable and a whole lot fewer issues." - Comment from Philip
"Thank you so much - awesome feed, awesome service!" - Comment from Greg via Email
"If you want customer service that answers the phone, your best bet is IQFeed. I cannot stop praising them or their technical support. They are always there for you, and they are quick. I have used ****** too but the best value is IQFeed." - Comment from Public Forum
"I am keeping IQFeed, much better reliabilty than *******. I may refer a few other people in the office to switch as well." - Comment from Don
"Just a quick one to say I'm very impressed so far :) The documentation for developers is excellent and I've quickly managed to get an app written to do historical downloads. The system is very robust and pretty quick considering the extent of data that's available. The support guys have been very helpful too, in combination with the forums it's been plain sailing so far!" - Comment from Adam
"DTN feed was the only feed that consistently matched Bloomberg feed for BID/ASK data verification work these past years......DTN feed is a must for my supply & demand based trading using Cumulative Delta" - Comment from Public Forum Post
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »DTN.IQ Client Software Support »Best server location for IQFeed/IB trading?
Author Topic: Best server location for IQFeed/IB trading? (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)

Xyzzy
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 16, 2012 02:57 AM          Msg. 1 of 4
I currently have a server that is located at my home in Seattle. I'm using it to run an automated trading system using MultiCharts, with IQ Feed as my data provider and IB as my broker.

IB's servers are located in the New York City area (specifically, Greenwich, CT). Unfortunately, there's currently nearly 100 ms of latency between my current computer and the IB server at gw1.ibllc.com.

I'm considering having my server hosted someplace else, like at a data center in the New York City area, to minimize the ping. I'm not looking for a low-latency system per se, but I would like to eliminate any unnecessary lag between my server and the broker.

Based on the thread below, it appears that the IQ Feed servers are located in Denver. If this is the case, would there still be a significant benefit to having my server hosted elsewhere? E.g., if I had my server hosted in the New York City area, how much latency should I expect between Denver and New York? Alternatively, would it make more sense to have my server hosted in Denver, or someplace central like Chicago?

http://forums.iqfeed.net/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=3190

If any of the IQ Feed technical support people would have time to ping the IB server (gw1.ibllc.com) from their Denver location and report back, that would be great. That would give me some idea of the "best case" ping between Denver and New York.

For what it's worth, my strategy currently is mostly trading futures on CME Globex in Chicago. However, I think that my trades will still have to go through IB's severs in New York before they're routed by IB back to CME in Chicago. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken.)
Edited by Xyzzy on Feb 16, 2012 at 03:04 AM

DTN_ToddH
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Feb 16, 2012 07:47 AM          Msg. 2 of 4
Hello Xyzzy,

The comments from DTN Steve S on that forum that you cited are still true:

Our servers are located in Omaha and Bellevue Nebraska.

Using a centralized location (most traffic will run through either Chicago, Denver, or Dallas) in the US allows us good speeds to most users while maintaining low costs.

The latency from us to the exchange is minimal. We have dedicated lines to most exchanges/data providers. This means that the latency from us to your machine (via the general internet) is the significant portion of the connection in terms of latency.

Also, I ran a ping test to gw1.ibllc.com and it came up as a 74 ms round trip. If you want to email me at Support@IQFeed.net , I will be glad to send you a screenshot.

jaikumarm
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 11:35 PM          Msg. 3 of 4
From my home server in CA its 95ms to IB and 65ms to DTN. From my AWS instance in Virginia (us-east-1a) its 10ms to IB and 55ms to DTN. I'd say that's about as good as it gets for less than 50$ a month.

Just my two bits.

DTN_ToddH
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Feb 7, 2013 07:42 AM          Msg. 4 of 4
Thank you Jaikumarm -
we appreciate the positive feedback.

Time: Fri April 19, 2024 12:45 PM CFBB v1.2.0 19 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003