Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"I like you guys better than *******...much more stable and a whole lot fewer issues." - Comment from Philip
"If someone needs the best quality data and backfill beyond what their broker provides at a rate that is the best in the industry, I highly recommend IQFeed." - Comment from Josh via Public Forum
"IQ feed works very well, does not have all of the normal interruptions I have grown used to on *******" - Comment from Mark
"Version 4.0.0.2 has been working well for me and I appreciate that it is now a much tighter client to work with. I feel I can go to press with my own application and rely on a stable platform" - Comment from David in IA.
"I am very happy I changed. I love the product, but more so I am thrilled with Tech Support. You are knowledgeable, polite, pleasant and professional." - Comment from Pat
"You are much better than lawyers or the phone company because you answer the phone when I call! I just love your customer service." - Comment from Isreal
"And by the way, have to say this. I love the IQFeed software. It's rock solid and it has a really nice API." - Comment from Thomas via RT Chat
"IQ feed is brilliant. The support is mind-bending. What service!" - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I was on the phone with a friend who uses CQG and right after the Fed announcement, CQG was as much as 30 seconds behind DTN.IQ. Some quotes were off by as much as 15-18 cents. Your feed never missed a beat." - Comment from Roger
"I was with ******* for 4 years at $230 a month, this is a huge savings for me, GOD BLESS YOU PEOPLE," - Comment from T.S. via Email
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »DTN Satellite Products »satellite feed questions
Author Topic: satellite feed questions (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)

MSKLI
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 21, 2005 01:48 PM          Msg. 1 of 10
Hi,

I'm considering the Satellite service but have some questions.

1) I require a large number of symbols, about 50,000 in real time - mostly US equity options. Does anyone know if you can get this many symbols without any issues?

2) Is there an API available so I can get the data into my personal application? Is there any help available for the API?

3) In terms of data reliability, which feed is better, internet or satellite? (If you were watching one symbol which service would be quicker?)

4) How big is the dish?

5) Approximatley how much will the setup cost? (Receiver, dish etc)

I'd be interested in any opinions - especially from current sattelite customers.

thanks.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

DTN IQFeed/DTN.IQ/DTN NxCore

Posted: Mar 22, 2005 08:52 AM          Msg. 2 of 10
1) The satellite feed is a broadcast feed, and thus there are no symbol limits. If you software can handle it, we can feed it.

2) We sell an SDK which is $400. There are no sample apps nor is there an API. The SDK describes the data stream and what you need to process it. It is not a trivial feed to process and limited support is available. You can contact prosales@dtn.com requestion a list of 3rd party products that have done the hard work of writing to our feed and they provide an easy to use API.

3) This depends on many factors. First, if you want 50,000 symbols, it flat out isn't possible on any retail internet service. Satellite will be approximately .5 seconds slower due to logistics of sending the data up to the satellite and back down.

4) 1 meter.

5) $200 init fee gets you the dish, receiver and hardware. The equipment is owned by DTN and will be returned to us upon cancellation.

You are looking at approximately $170 per month with equity options on satellite. We also have a new product that can deliver the full feed via Internet (it is much more costly). Email prosales@dtn.com requesting information on NxCore.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN Market Access, LLC.

MSKLI
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 22, 2005 09:24 AM          Msg. 3 of 10
Jay,

Thanks for the reply. I will inquire about your NxCore product.

thanks.

redrac
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 4, 2005 02:28 PM          Msg. 4 of 10
I'm running between 150,000 and 200,000 symbols with no percievable speed problems. Most of these are options. It is about a second faster than CNBC on dow etc. You will need a high speed serial card. You need to make sure the box is set to the same speed it; supposedly happens automatically but did not happen for me. Which is better sat or internet? I would say sat by far! My internet was down on Friday for 5 hours, cable on a lan, My internet feed goes down or gets slow pretty often where as the sat feed may cut out on me once or twice a year due to weather and that normally blows by very fast. It will be a really bad storm to knock it out. Hope this helps.

coffeetrader
-Interested User-

Price moving up BUY! Price moving down SELL!

Posted: Feb 10, 2007 09:00 AM          Msg. 5 of 10
I'm trying to decide between the DTN satellite feed and the DTN internet feed. I tend to believe the satellite feed is faster & gap free.
I had the DTN satellite feed up til 3 years ago, was very happy with that. I used Tradestation 2000i also. I wonder also if there is a data service to 'fill the gap' in all my charts form today back a year or more. Tradestation used to send these every quarter. I had very few storm related outages also, snow was more of a problem.
I trade Futures first, stocks second, currencies third.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Feb 10, 2007 09:10 PM          Msg. 6 of 10
I would suggest going with our Internet products as opposed to Satellite unless you have a specific requirement that would make the satellite a better choice (about the only thing I can think of would be due to lack of Internet connectivity). The Internet is faster than satellite under most circumstances.

Are you planning to still use Tradestation 2000i, or are you just in need of a good charting package? Tradestation still works with our satellite and IQFeed, but since they (TS) no longer support the software, there is high likelihood that it won't work for long.

If you need to go with Satellite, I would suggest InvestorRT or Ensign (3rd party software that supports both our satellite and IQFeed Internet services). Both offer historical backfill packages that can be used to fill in data gaps via the Internet should you have a satellite outage or need to fill in historical data that isn't available on the satellite.

On our ProphetX Internet service, we have all the historical data you need (1 year of XMinute data and 30+ years of daily history on futures), along with Reuters news with full text indexing, high end analytics (seasonal charting, forward curves, free form functions, synthetic spreads with a true intraday OHLC bars, etc).

Let us know your specific needs and we will do our best to guide you to the package that will best accomodate them.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

coffeetrader
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 11, 2007 09:07 AM          Msg. 7 of 10
Q. Is the ProphetX fed by IQFeed?

I ultimately want something that resembles what I had in the past. That was my old (Real-Time) DTN fed TradeStation 2000i on 4 monitors that look or worked as one. With pre-built workspaces that, with a single click can flip between 24 to 30 pre-built charts. I plan on buying a new computer system with 8 monitors.

I need the fastest real time tic by tic data, great charts on a stable system.

I like the historical data with ProphetX.

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Feb 11, 2007 08:49 PM          Msg. 8 of 10
Quote: Q. Is the ProphetX fed by IQFeed?

I ultimately want something that resembles what I had in the past. That was my old (Real-Time) DTN fed TradeStation 2000i on 4 monitors that look or worked as one. With pre-built workspaces that, with a single click can flip between 24 to 30 pre-built charts. I plan on buying a new computer system with 8 monitors.

I need the fastest real time tic by tic data, great charts on a stable system.

I like the historical data with ProphetX.
--- Original message by coffeetrader on Feb 11, 2007 09:07 AM
A: No. ProphetX and IQFeed each have their own server systems. We do have combination subscriptions available (if you want to use ProphetX and feed a 3rd party software package at the same time), and we are working on porting IQFeed so that it will be fed by the ProphetX system by years end.

You shouldn't have any problem accomplishing what you describe with ProphetX. Workspaces can be created which will save all settings and window locations. It has a tabbed interface, so you can create multiple pages with various charts on each page. You can also have individual windows with multiple tabs, so you can quickly change between views.

We are a tier 1 vendor (data direct from the exchanges), so the data should be as fast as anything out there, and the data is tic by tic. We send out every trade and every quote we get from the exchange. With a large install base in prop trading firms, corporate trading floors, etc.; reliability is a high priority and is taken seriously. We wouldn't be on the trading floors of the largest energy and ag companies if we weren't reliable.

Feel free to sign up for a trial at www.prophetx.com. We also have free, live online demos/training covering the basic operation of ProphetX each Monday afternoon. If you would like to attend the demo/training, let me know. We can also setup a one-on-one online demo for you to make sure we cover each of your needs individually.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

coffeetrader
-Interested User-

Posted: Feb 12, 2007 12:03 PM          Msg. 9 of 10
So the bottom line question now is, do IQFeed and ProphetX operate at the same speed (side by side comparison)? I'm guessing they do - just would like a confirmation of that fact. I was surprised to learn that the Internet (broadband-cable) is as fast or faster than the satellite feed.

If so, then I'd start out with the ProphetX & later switch to IQFeed & the Ensign later. Would that be a good idea? It would be nice to 'see' a system first hand but, I know that's not usually possible.

* It's also hard to 'retire' another (expensive) 3rd party software program (TradeStation 4.0 and now 2000i $3,000+ each).

DTN_Jay_Froscheiser
-VP, Product Operations-

Posted: Feb 12, 2007 02:02 PM          Msg. 10 of 10
yes. You shouldn't see any difference in speed between IQFeed and ProphetX.

You can definately "see" the systems first hand. We offer trials on all of our products, including ProphetX. All you need to do is sign up for the trial at www.prophetx.com. Then, our sales group can get you setup with real time data on the exchanges you need (some exchanges will charge exchange fees during the trial). If you get setup now, you can still get in on our new user demo/training this afternoon.

When: Every Monday, 3:00 pm, Central Daylight Time

Topics include:

DTN ProphetX™ User Interface
Accessing News
Accessing Quotes
Accessing Charts and history
Adding Basic Studies to Charts
Basic Options

Please click the following link to view or edit your meeting information, or to start your meeting.

https://dtn.webex.com/dtn/j.php?ED=91219452

Meeting number: 801 777 985
Meeting password: prx123

To teleconference: call (US/Canada): 650-429-3300 or toll-free (US/Canada): 866-469-3239.

Jay Froscheiser
DTN - Trading Markets

Time: Fri April 19, 2024 2:40 PM CFBB v1.2.0 9 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003