Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"Version 4.0.0.2 has been working well for me and I appreciate that it is now a much tighter client to work with. I feel I can go to press with my own application and rely on a stable platform" - Comment from David in IA.
"Just a thank you for the very helpful and prompt assistance and services. You provided me with noticeably superior service in my setup compared to a couple of other options I had looked at." - Comment from John
"I used to have *******, but they are way more money for the same thing. I have had no probs with data from DTN since switching over." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"If you are serious about your trading I would not rely on IB data for serious daytrading. Took me a while to justify the cost of IQ Feed and in the end, it's just a 2 point stop on ES. Better safe than sorry" - Comment from Public Forum
"IQFeed version 4 is a real screamer compared to anything else I have seen." - Comment from Tom
"I'm satisfied with IQFeed. It's the most reliable and fastest quote feed I have ever used. Although I'm a resident in China, it's still very fast!" - Comment from Xiaofei
"Everything is working great ! Very impressive client. The news refreshes better and is more pertinent than the ******* feed I paid $ 100/month for. I Also like the charts a lot." - Comment from Leon
"The service is great, I see a noticeable improvement in my volume profiles over [broker]'s data feed" - Comment from Larry
"For anyone considering using DTN.IQ for a data feed, my experience with the quality of data and the tech support has been very positive." - Comment from Public Forum
"DTN has never given me problems. It is incredibly stable. In fact I've occasionally lost the data feed from Interactive Brokers, but still been able to trade because I'm getting good data from DTN." - Comment from Leighton
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »DTN.IQ Client Software Support »Streaming Interval Bars - Replaced Previous Watch
Author Topic: Streaming Interval Bars - Replaced Previous Watch (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)

jmcstone
-Interested User-

Posted: Oct 29, 2017 10:09 PM          Msg. 1 of 3
I am just starting to use the streaming interval bars. I plan on streaming bars on multiple securities with each security having multiple different intervals (example: 1 min bars, 5 min bars, and 15 min bars - all on the same symbol).

The documentation states that a "S,REPLACED PREVIOUS WATCH,[Symbol],[RequestID]" message may be returned. Under what circumstances will a previous watch be replaced? That is, what fields in the request must match for it to replace a previous request (Symbol, Interval, IntervalType, BeginFilterTime, EndFilterTime, ...)?

Also, the documentation is not clear if the RequestId is the previous RequestId or the new RequestId (it would actually be nice to have both values returned). In fact, the RequestId should be on the SYMBOL LIMIT REACHED and the INVALID PARAMETERS FOR REQUEST messages also - so, that you can accurately associate the message to the request.

One last question - what is the use for Update Interval? Does it delay the sending of a bar - or, does it do something such as updating a 1 min bar every 15 seconds?

Thanks

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 11:14 AM          Msg. 2 of 3
Streaming bars can only handle one interval per symbol, so multiple connections to the derivative port will be needed to achieve what you are looking for. That is the reason for the replacement, any BW on a symbol that has already been watched will be a replacement.

With multiple connections, one per interval you can have the different ids that you are looking for. I'll note the request for the error to include the RequestID.

We have no guaranteed way to know a bar has completed, except to receive a trade that is outside of the current interval. That is when a BC bar is sent. But, if there is an hour between trades, then you end up waiting for an update that you may need. So a time based update is the alternative to that.

By setting a interval of x seconds you will always get an update or a complete message within x seconds of the last trade.

What that means to you is that if a BU message is received you can update your app with it, but you should expect to either receive further BU messages or a BC message and you will need to update the interval with each.

Tim

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Oct 30, 2017 11:51 AM          Msg. 3 of 3
I was incorrect regarding the replace. I never use request IDs in my code, so I never realized this, but when you send two watches with empty request IDs, say BW,GOOG,1 and BW,GOOG,5, it replaces the first. hence my answer.

However, it is actually the duplicated requestID that is replaced. So if you sent two watches with two requestIDs
BW,GOOG,15,,,10,,,GOOG15,,,1 and
BW,GOOG,20,,,10,,,GOOG20,,,1
that does work fine. So you can do everything in one socket.

So given that, each requestID should be unique in the system, and is only replaced when duplicated, I think this also takes care of the second question.

Sorry for my confusion.

Tim

Time: Tue April 16, 2024 1:28 AM CFBB v1.2.0 12 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003