Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"This beats the pants off CQG, I am definitely switching to the ProphetX 3.0!" - Comment from Stephen
"If someone needs the best quality data and backfill beyond what their broker provides at a rate that is the best in the industry, I highly recommend IQFeed." - Comment from Josh via Public Forum
"I just wanted to say how happy I am with your service. I was able to download the API docs last week and I was able to replicate Interactive Brokers historical bar queries and realtime bar queries over the weekend. That was about one of the fastest integrations that I've ever done and it works perfectly!!!!" - Comment from Jason via Email
"I would just like to say that IQFeed version 4 is running very well and I am very happy with its performance. I would also like to extend a big thanks for the fast and efficient help that I always receive. My questions and concerns are always addressed promptly. Way to go!" - Comment from Josh in CO.
"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
"After all the anxiety I had with my previous data provider it is a relief not to have to worry about data speed and integrity." - Comment from Eamonn
"Interactive Brokers tick data was inconsistent, so I have switched to using DTN exclusively. It is great to no longer have to worry about my datafeed all day long." - Comment from Philippe
"Very impressed with the quality of your feed - ******* is a real donkey in comparison." - Comment from A.C. via Email
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
"You are much better than lawyers or the phone company because you answer the phone when I call! I just love your customer service." - Comment from Isreal
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »NEW IQFEED FORUMS »IQFeed API Questions »Reqeusting opinions about using L2 Market by Order vs Market by Price (where applicable)
Author Topic: Reqeusting opinions about using L2 Market by Order vs Market by Price (where applicable) (1 messages, Page 1 of 1)

mkvalor
-Interested User-

Keep your tools sharp.

Posted: Jul 18, 2023 11:31 PM          Msg. 1 of 1
tl;dr: If you use L2 Market by Order messages for CME/ICE futures, do you feel your systtem greatly benefits from the broader range of updated price points and/or the ability to correlate the OrderId with the L1 messages?

I'm asking because I coded my system under an older protocol so I only have L2 Market by Price. It works fine. But I'm trying to gague whether it's worth it to go back and update my custom software system (a fairly invasive change).

---- Original message below ----
I'm an IQFeed API programmer who mostly analyzes CME/ICE futures and I joined DTN well after the older forum posts which initially requested something like the L2 MBO data. Yet I also joined before protocol 6 was out of beta. As such, I originally coded my apps using protocol 5.2 to pull in the L2 MBP data and 'it wasn't broke so I didn't fix it'. I did upgrade my IQFeed client and protocol once 6.x came out and my apps do use the latest of each (though still only pull MBP data).

Lately, out of curiosity about whether my algorithms might beneifit from more/different data, I've been wondering what the main benefits of MBO data are over MBP. Here's what I believe I understand about the differences:
  • MBO data doesn't have the same limitation on number of levels per side (buy, sell)

• As a consequence of the first point, MBO summary messages may be of high volume while the initial state of all(?) prices are transmitted (with a consideration in the documentation to perhaps throttle these requests to avoid saturating the network connection and perhaps stalling other watches).

• There's an OrderId with MBO messages that lets you correlate(?) these messages with the OrderIds of L1 messages

• MBP updates replace the previous message you received at that price with a new aggregated total

• MBO updates are only deltas and you must maintain the structure of the price levels yourself and mathmatically apply the deltas as they come in

• Equity L2 (NASDAQ) comes through as MBO messages and includes MMID but not Order Id

If I made any errors or significant omissions above, please comment to correct them. So , focusing on futures -- I think the main benefits of MBO are the expanded price levels and using the OrderID to correlate with the L1 messages. Yet the cost would be recoding my apps to maintian the structure of the L2 data by applying the updates mathematically as well as potentially ingesting a bunch of price points far(?) from the current price activity. There is a potential fragility if MBO updates are somehow lost.

Please comment with your thoughts about switching from MBP levels to MBO updates (for markets that offer it). Do you make much use of the Order Id correlation and the broader price range (which may include prices far from the current price action)? Does an app analyzing L2 MBO data suddenly start consuming 3X the memory (vs MBP) to hold all the new price levels? If you switched, do you feel it was worth it? etc.

-Mark D. Valor
Edited by mkvalor on Jul 20, 2023 at 10:54 PM

Time: Tue April 30, 2024 12:37 PM CFBB v1.2.0 11 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003