Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"You have an excellent feed. Very few spikes for Spot Forex." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"I use IQ Feed, Great stuff as far as data analysis information, storage and retrieval is concerned." - Comment from Public Forum
"I will tell others who want to go into trading that DTN ProphetX is an invaluable tool, I don't think anyone can trade without it..." - Comment from Luther
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
"I am enjoying the feed very much - so superior to the broker provided feed I was previously using." - Comment from George
"I "bracket trade" all major news releases and I have not found one lag or glitch with DTN.IQ feed. I am very comfortable with their feed under all typical news conditions (Fed releases, employment numbers, etc)." - Comment from Public Forum
"I'm satisfied with IQFeed. It's the most reliable and fastest quote feed I have ever used. Although I'm a resident in China, it's still very fast!" - Comment from Xiaofei
"I'm very glad I switched to IQFeed. It's working perfectly with no lag, even during fast market conditions." - Comment from Andy via Email
"Just a thank you for the very helpful and prompt assistance and services. You provided me with noticeably superior service in my setup compared to a couple of other options I had looked at." - Comment from John
"Everything is working amazing now. I'm already impressed with the true-tick feed of IQFeed and it's ability to support my 480 symbol layout." - Comment from Tyler via Email
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »DTN.IQ Client Software Support »Access violation in Client 4.4.0.3
Author Topic: Access violation in Client 4.4.0.3 (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)

glatiak
-Interested User-

Revelations In Stillness

Posted: May 19, 2008 10:35 AM          Msg. 1 of 11
Having a problem with the new client software v 4.4.0.3. After running the new client for an hour or so, client terminated with fatal error -- which is not logged. On restart of client it fails immediately with 'unhandled windows exception' that is caught by the debugger (DevStudio). The debug exception box shows access violation in iqconnect.exe module wincore.cpp at address 0x0040d343 accessing location 0x00000414. The error is, of course, 0xC0000005.
This problem has not been experienced with the 4.3 client -- which I will roll back to at this time. Please advise.

GregL

GregL

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: May 21, 2008 08:34 AM          Msg. 2 of 11
Greg, Sorry for the delay in response on this issue. Are you still having issues? If so, can you tell me a bit more information about how you are using IQFeed?

What application(s) are you using with IQFeed (DTN.IQ, Quotetracker, Ensign, etc)?
Can you tell me what sort of data requests you are making? In other words, are you just watching streaming quotes? or are you pulling historical data (charts/time and sales displays)? are you watching Level 2 or Market Depth data?

Have you noticed yet if there is a reproducable scenario that causes the crash?
Do you have multiple computers? Are they both experiencing the same issues?

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be to track this down (and ultimately fix).

Thanks,

glatiak
-Interested User-

Revelations In Stillness

Posted: May 21, 2008 09:59 AM          Msg. 3 of 11
Yes, I continue to have issues but not with your software. The accvio was not reproducible at will, sorry. And only happened on the AMD, not the older Intel.

I am attempting to run IQFeed with Nirvana Visual Trader and Omnitrader. The data requests are either streaming quotes or historical data (OT is historic). Both Nirvana applications have exotic issues with IQFeed on two different machines that I use -- an older dual processor XP machine and a newer AMD dual core -- also XP (though it came with Vista). The AMD box was a clean install of XP pro -- things did not stabilize untill I had installed Office 2003 and Visual Studio, but still not right. Problem is that the app connects to the feed multiple times, drops the connection and (sometimes) restarts. Once it stays connected, I can shut down one app, start the next and everything is just fine. It may take 1 hour of fiddling and application kill/restarts before something decides it is in the mood. I have tried other apps with IQFeed and none exhibit the same exotic behavior.

GregL

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: May 21, 2008 02:17 PM          Msg. 4 of 11
Greg, it certainly sounds like there may be some issues of IQFeed/Nirvana interoperability in your case that need straightened out. However, you mentioned in the initial post that IQConnect was crashing on you as well so there is something happing that is at least partly the fault of IQFeed. I suspect that this is going to be something happening which we are not handling properly (for example, possibly a badly formed command sent from Nirvana software or they are terminating a connection when we are not expecting it).

We are going to need some input from Nirvana support as well in order to track this down. Have you already contacted them about the issues you have getting it running initially when you start up? I believe getting that resolved is going to be the first step in resolving this issue.

glatiak
-Interested User-

Revelations In Stillness

Posted: May 21, 2008 02:41 PM          Msg. 5 of 11
Thanks, Steve. I have been dancing with them on this issue for a couple of months now and just seem to loop through -- uninstall/reinstall/reregister the DLLs/shut down your firewall, antivirus/etc. I am currently trying to identify machines where it does work -- as a number of folks on their support forum say they have no problems. WOuld be willing to buy a machine just to run the thing if I could be assured that it would just work (allowing for the usual misfeatures and undocumented bugs, of course). I am thinking I am just lucky enough to have not one but two machines that only marginally support the 175 DLLs from multiple vendors... the Nirvana code logs dropping the connection, so maybe one of the .Net modules is really .NOT. unless the planets are in the exact alignment. The stuff should have been written in Cobol or something debuggable... (a 50 year veteran having a rant...)

GregL

stargrazer
-DTN Guru-

Right Here & Now

Posted: May 21, 2008 02:53 PM          Msg. 6 of 11
See if you can get VMWare workstation. Build a fresh lean mean installation with only Nirvana and IQfeed. See if that works. Saves having to buy a whole new machine to try something out on.

glatiak
-Interested User-

Revelations In Stillness

Posted: May 21, 2008 03:10 PM          Msg. 7 of 11
Thanks. Been running it on a VM but needed a bit more zing... also, VT requires ActiveX3D that neither VMWare nor VirtualPC provided... hence the AMD. And with only XP, all reasonable patches, the Nirvana software and IQFeed it hung every time (task manager kill or hard power-off reboot). Made me crazy. But it would sort of work on my old P3 dual. By installing Visual Studio and Office it now sort of works as well as it does on the P3 -- lean and mean has no meaning with this layer upon layer stuff... I keep a working config on a VM and experiment with it on the physical machine. As far as I can tell by diffing process snapshots the 'sort-of' working version has about 8 newer DLLs than the hanging version -- and its all Microsloth stuff, DAO and JET. SO much for Windows Update...

GregL

stargrazer
-DTN Guru-

Right Here & Now

Posted: May 21, 2008 03:18 PM          Msg. 8 of 11
Out of curiosity, what makes Nirvana special, as in, what does it do as a trading/analysis package that no other package does?

stargrazer
-DTN Guru-

Right Here & Now

Posted: May 21, 2008 03:26 PM          Msg. 9 of 11
Try a VM rebuild without VT and activex3d. Test the IQFeed connection. Then add a module at a time. See after which application/library you install when the IQFeed connection breaks.

Try the various IQFeed utilties without VT running. See if it still breaks.

glatiak
-Interested User-

Revelations In Stillness

Posted: May 21, 2008 06:01 PM          Msg. 10 of 11
I am appreciating all the helpful hints, but the problem has never been with IQFeed. I have VMWorkstation 6 -- 5.5 had experimental support for 3d, but as far as I have been able to determine, the configuration changes for 5.5 do not work with v6.

As for the Nirvana code -- their apps have some nice features and are more visual than most. But it becomes a question of trying to obtain a return for sunk dollars before giving up in disgust. But I am already starting to explore other alternatives to support my trading -- as it appears unlikely that there will be a solution to this problem. So far, the common factors seems to be that no one has made the stuff work on an XP multiprocessor configuration. I have Vista but found other things that don't work there -- strangely enough Office 2007 works better there as does a SQLserver/.Net app I use for business management. I am considering building another Vista VM to see if the Nirvana stuff works there -- their code is multithreaded but definately 32 bit and I would not be entirely surprised if there were not some latent race conditions down in the bowels -- they are very much a Microsoft shop.

GregL

stargrazer
-DTN Guru-

Right Here & Now

Posted: May 21, 2008 06:16 PM          Msg. 11 of 11
There is an ability somewhere, possibly in the application properties, where you can set a processor affinity. This will limit to one processor, while your other tools can use the other processors.

If you have hyperthreading, I seem to recall suggestions that it be turned off. If you have multi-core, then the affinity thing may work.

Time: Tue April 23, 2024 12:51 PM CFBB v1.2.0 10 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003