Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
"I am keeping IQFeed, much better reliabilty than *******. I may refer a few other people in the office to switch as well." - Comment from Don
"I noticed that ******* quotes locked up shortly after the interest rate announcement yesterday while yours stayed stable." - Comment from Ron in Utah
"As a past ******* customer(and not a happy one), IQ Feed by DTN is a much better and cheaper product with great customer support. I have had no problems at all since switching over." - Comment from Public Forum
"Just a thank you for the very helpful and prompt assistance and services. You provided me with noticeably superior service in my setup compared to a couple of other options I had looked at." - Comment from John
"I use IQ Feed, Great stuff as far as data analysis information, storage and retrieval is concerned." - Comment from Public Forum
"I just wanted to say how happy I am with your service. I was able to download the API docs last week and I was able to replicate Interactive Brokers historical bar queries and realtime bar queries over the weekend. That was about one of the fastest integrations that I've ever done and it works perfectly!!!!" - Comment from Jason via Email
"Version 4.0.0.2 has been working well for me and I appreciate that it is now a much tighter client to work with. I feel I can go to press with my own application and rely on a stable platform" - Comment from David in IA.
"This is an excellent value, the system is generous (allowing for 500 stocks) and stable (and really is tick-by-tick), and the support is fantastic." - Comment from Shirin via Email
"You are either overstaffed or people just don't have problems with your feed because customer support always answers the phone quickly." - Comment from Jay via Email
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »Data and Content Support »NEW OPTION SYMBOLOGY
Author Topic: NEW OPTION SYMBOLOGY (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)

zzly4bible
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 04:14 PM          Msg. 1 of 11
may I ask whether iqfeed is using the new stock option symbology now? For example, is COP Apr 2010 44.000 call denoted as COP100417C00044000 or otherwise?

thanks!

DTN_LorenF
-DTN Technical Support-

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 04:21 PM          Msg. 2 of 11
zzly4bible

Yes we are migrating to the new options symbols. the symbol you are looking for is COP1017D44

Here is a link for the schedule: http://www.iqfeed.net/DTN_OPTIONS_SYMBOLOGY_INITIATIVE.doc

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 04:26 PM          Msg. 3 of 11
It looks like the schedule listed in that document is a bit out of date (that document was created quite a while ago when all dates were still "tenative"). DTN is following the schedule set forth by The Options Clearing Corporation and OPRA. You can see the schedule straight from the source here:

http://www.theocc.com/initiatives/symbology/implementation.jsp

zzly4bible
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 08:11 AM          Msg. 4 of 11
After all are finished in May 2010, what symbol will I use in that example: COP100417C00044000 or COP1017D44?

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 08:13 AM          Msg. 5 of 11
Loren answered this above, you will use COP1017D44. This is the OCC and OPRA standard symbology.

zzly4bible
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 08:56 AM          Msg. 6 of 11
I am confused. Look at the OIC website http://www.888options.com/help/faq/symbology.jsp#7

Are there going to be 2 standards? I checked yahoo finance. They are using COP100417C00044000. Can you please clarify this for me?

DTN_Steve_S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 09:52 AM          Msg. 7 of 11
This seems to answer your question:
---------
http://www.888options.com/help/faq/symbology.jsp#15

Q: Since OPRA is using a shorter 18 character version of the Series Key, is the industry trading under two sets of symbols?

A: No, there is only one symbol, but it is supported by multiple record layouts; the changes to the OPRA record formats to accommodate OSI were designed to minimize the impact to direct consumers of the OPRA data feeds. OPRA messages will utilize 18 characters to denote the symbology key between June 30, 2008 and February 12, 2010. After February 12, 2010 OPRA will utilize 17 characters to denote the symbology key. See the OPRA Specification for OSI at www.opradata.com/symbology for further details.

--------

So essentally, while there is only one trading symbol, there are still going to be multiple ways of displaying the data to end users just like there were before the OSI. IQFeed follows the OPRA symbology.
Edited by DTN_Steve_S on Apr 13, 2010 at 09:53 AM

zzly4bible
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 04:27 PM          Msg. 8 of 11
I feed iqfeed to Neoticker for analysis. Does that mean that I should follow OPRA symbology when I specify stock options in Neoticker?

DTN_LorenF
-DTN Technical Support-

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 04:39 PM          Msg. 9 of 11
ZZLY4BIBLE
Yes , as long as your using the IQFeed you will need to use the symbology for IQFeed from the links. If you have any questions about the symbology please contact the Support either by phone or chat to confirm the correct symbiols.

zzly4bible
-Interested User-

Posted: Apr 16, 2010 10:35 AM          Msg. 10 of 11
is there any blank space in the IQfeed option symbology? For example, IBM is a short root symbology, is there any blank space in between the IBM and the numbers? My guess is "no" based on reading the doc you refer to. Can you please confirm that? Thanks.

Stan S
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Apr 16, 2010 10:39 AM          Msg. 11 of 11
Hi zzly,

No there are no spaces, I just opened an option chain with the front 3 months for IBM options to be sure, & none of them had spaces.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Stan S

What we do today, determines how people remember us forever.
Be the positive force in someone life.

Time: Sun May 19, 2024 4:48 PM CFBB v1.2.0 11 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003