Join the 80,000 other DTN customers who enjoy the fastest, most reliable data available. There is no better value than DTN!

(Move your cursor to this area to pause scrolling)

"There is no doubt that IQFeed is the best data provider. I am very satisfied with your services. And IQFeed is the only one that I would recommend to my friends. Now, most of them are using your product in China." - Comment from Zhezhe
"Thank God for your Data Feed as the only Zippers I see are on my pants (LOL), and no more 200 pip spikes to mess up charts." - Comment from Spiro via Email
"The people at Nirvana have very nice things to say about your company and I can see why! Price and service is a potent combination." - Comment from Ed
"I am keeping IQFeed, much better reliabilty than *******. I may refer a few other people in the office to switch as well." - Comment from Don
"Thanks for the great product and support. During this week of high volume trading, my QuoteTracker + IQ Feed setup never missed a beat. Also, thanks for your swiftness in responding to data issues. I was on ******* for a few years before I made the switch over early this year, and wish I had done it a long time ago." - Comment from Ken
"Thanks for all of your help. Great customer service deserves to be recognized which one the reasons I've been a customer of DTN for over 10 years!" - Comment from Stuart
"I am very pleased with the DTNIQ system for quotes and news." - Comment from Larry
"I used to have *******, but they are way more money for the same thing. I have had no probs with data from DTN since switching over." - Comment from Public Forum Post
"Awesome response, as usual. It is a sincere and refreshing pleasure to do business with DTN, compared to your competition." - Comment from Ryan
"I was with ******* for 4 years at $230 a month, this is a huge savings for me, GOD BLESS YOU PEOPLE," - Comment from T.S. via Email
Home  Search  Register  Login  Recent Posts

Information on DTN's Industries:
DTN Oil & Gas | DTN Trading | DTN Agriculture | DTN Weather
Follow DTNMarkets on Twitter
DTN.IQ/IQFeed on Twitter
DTN News and Analysis on Twitter
»Forums Index »Archive (2017 and earlier) »IQFeed Developer Support »IQConnect.exe 5.2.1.0 (and 5.1.1.3) hangs on connect for multiple connections
Author Topic: IQConnect.exe 5.2.1.0 (and 5.1.1.3) hangs on connect for multiple connections (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)

dk_brad
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 30, 2016 03:54 AM          Msg. 1 of 5
I have come across a critical problem with the IQConnect software when establishing multiple connections in quick succession.

Steps to reproduce:
1 - launch client, login
2 - for i = 1 to 15 {
create new socket on port 9100
send set protocol command
sleep x
}
3 - wait
4 - close all sockets

For values of x < ~15ms, the threads for each socket in the iqconnect process seem to enter some sort of race condition, and ramp up to 100% CPU (core) usage. This will typically happen to all 15 connections, but is sometimes limited to fewer (e.g 3 IQConnect threads running at 100% on 3 cores).

During failures:
- IQConnect threads are running at 100% on all 8 cores of my machine (although sometimes fewer as mentioned above).
- There is no response on the socket to any commands sent, including the initial set protocol.
- There are no entries in the IQConnectLog after "LOOKUP SOCKET ACCEPTED i - " for each connection.

Log files are attached.

Configuration:

This occurs on versions 5.1.1.3 and 5.2.1.0 (didn't test others). I am connecting from Java using standard java.net / java.io libraries

OS tested:
- Debian 8 64-bit (kernel 4.5.0 x86_64)
- Debian 7 32-bit (kernel 4.5.0 x86),

JVM tested:
- 1.7.0_80-b15 (32 bit)
- 1.8.0_77 (32 and 64-bit)

Wine tested:

Interestingly, I couldn't reproduce the problem using wine 1.4.1, but I suspect that's because 1.4.1 is slower to create and connect the sockets rather than wine being the problem. This issue only became evident because I am staging newer wine versions.

I couldn't reproduce the issue with the same code on Windows 7.

I would guess that the most likely explanation is a subtle concurrency bug in the IQConnect.exe connection code that is only evident when multiple connections are made almost simultaneously on a machine with many cores, but it is surprising that it hasn't been seen before.

I can provide test code (Java) if required.

File Attached: IQConnectLogAll-fail.txt (downloaded 1379 times)

dk_brad
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 30, 2016 04:12 AM          Msg. 2 of 5
Example screenshot showing partial (4 connections) hang.

File Attached: partial-lockup-example.png (downloaded 1186 times)

DTN_Robert_Carrillo
-Interested User-

-DTN Technical Support-

Posted: Mar 30, 2016 04:17 AM          Msg. 3 of 5
Thank you for your post. Developer Support will respond ASAP.

Robert Carrillo

support@iqfeed.net

support@dtniq.com

support@prophetx.com

Trading Markets Customer Service

1-800-397-7000

dk_brad
-Interested User-

Posted: Mar 30, 2016 06:34 AM          Msg. 4 of 5
For reference, here's a log of the same code running when the issue doesn't occur.

File Attached: IQConnectLogAll-succeed.txt (downloaded 1396 times)

DTN_Tim Walter
-DTN Guru-

Posted: Mar 30, 2016 08:36 AM          Msg. 5 of 5
This was a known issue in 5.1, but we have had good results with releases since and so far on 5.2, but we will take a look into it and see what we can come up with.

Tim

Time: Wed April 24, 2024 9:24 PM CFBB v1.2.0 9 ms.
© AderSoftware 2002-2003